Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed September 10th, 2008, 12:32 pm

[quote=""Ash""]My copy of Olivia and Jai just arrived; yikes this thing is huge! Not sure I'll be reading it quite yet, looks like a long weekend kinda read![/quote]

It's a weekend book, that's for sure. Do check in on the review thread of this book when you get to the big plot twist half way through. I don't know anyone yet who was able to see that big ta-da coming. It floored me.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed September 10th, 2008, 11:03 pm

Finished up Daughters of the Grail, and found it very interesting. But I fear that it will not be my favourite Chadwick. And also got through Mike's Election Guide 2008 by Michael Moore as well.

Kailana
Reader

Post by Kailana » Thu September 11th, 2008, 1:12 am

Don't Bet on the Prince by Jack Zipes

There is a subtitle, something about feminist fairy tales, but I don't have the book right in front of me so I don't remember!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu September 11th, 2008, 2:07 am

[quote=""Kailana""]Don't Bet on the Prince by Jack Zipes

There is a subtitle, something about feminist fairy tales, but I don't have the book right in front of me so I don't remember![/quote]

Mmm, I wonder if this is anything like Emma Donogue's Kissing the Witch.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu September 11th, 2008, 3:00 am

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. Hmm. That's my second vampire book in a row, and I have another one here to read in the next couple of weeks as well. Maybe I am iron deficient ;)
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Kailana
Reader

Post by Kailana » Thu September 11th, 2008, 4:00 am

[quote=""Ash""]Mmm, I wonder if this is anything like Emma Donogue's Kissing the Witch.[/quote]

It kind of sounds like it could be. This is a bunch of different authors, though, and it is a bit of a textbook-type book, as well as a collection of fairy tales.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu September 11th, 2008, 4:16 am

Now have moved on to Lois McMaster Bujold's The Sharing Knife: Beguilement. As always, very good, and very satisfying. Any other Bujold fans around here?

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Thu September 11th, 2008, 5:03 am

Just started The Winter Mantle by EC. It was a choice between that and PGs one that was up for book of the month. The PG is on a 14 day loan....but I had to read EC's first! PGs might be a few days late!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu September 11th, 2008, 1:40 pm

[quote=""Kailana""]It kind of sounds like it could be. This is a bunch of different authors, though, and it is a bit of a textbook-type book, as well as a collection of fairy tales.[/quote]

Ah, ok. The Donogue book is a collection of famous fairy tales, connected by a thread of one character telling a story to one from the next story. Definitely told from a woman's point of view, it is at times hilarious and other times quite thought provoking (another book like this, tho much more graphic, is John Connoly's Book of Lost Things. Its rather disturbing, but the story itself is one I couldn't leave for a long time)

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Thu September 11th, 2008, 2:18 pm

Crown in Candlelight, half way through and it's really sporatic(sp) if you know what I mean. It kinda is back and forth with parts not chapters and Kathrine and Owen still have not met much less she hasn't even married Henry, so it's to see how the book can be on the subject of Owen and Kathrine but the lead up to Owen and Kathrine. does that make sense?

Return to “Archives”