Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed August 26th, 2009, 8:44 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]The autumn is usually my favourite season too, but this year I feel depressed at the idea of the days drawing in, etc. Rainy and windy today - seems like that's it for the British summer this year.

Anyway, scary books. What about Barbara Erskine's Midnight Is A Lonely Place - I can't read that at night, it keeps me awake. About a writer who moves to a cottage by the sea in the middle of winter and it turns out to be haunted, big time.

Or Bram Stoker, Dracula.[/quote]

I liked that one of Erskine. Lots of things that go bump in the night if I recall. Dumas wrote a book of ghost stories but I've not yet got my hands on it. I think Wharton wrote some ghost stories as well, I'll have to look up the title when I'm home. It's in the big pile somewhere.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu August 27th, 2009, 2:06 am

Found used copies of the books I just ordered. :o So, canceled that.

Then decided to order Here was a Man by Norah Lofts. I liked her other reissues very much.

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Thu August 27th, 2009, 7:31 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Then decided to order Here was a Man by Norah Lofts. I liked her other reissues very much.[/quote]

Wonder if you'll like this one (personally I didn't but wanna try her other books) :o
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Thu August 27th, 2009, 8:01 am

Arrived from Ebay today:

Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles Margaret George
The Colour - Rose Tremain
The glass of time - Michael Cox
The house of Allerbrook - Valerie Anand

Anyone read these?

This is my last buys for this year!! (fingers crossed)
Joining the challenge at this forum and thought I might as well stick to it for the rest of the year.. really I don't need more books. really...

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu August 27th, 2009, 9:01 am

I enjoyed The Colour, it's an interesting read - it's not pacey, though. I have The Glass of Time and House of Allerbrook on my TBR pile. I've read The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox and loved it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Thu August 27th, 2009, 9:14 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]I enjoyed The Colour, it's an interesting read - it's not pacey, though. I have The Glass of Time and House of Allerbrook on my TBR pile. I've read The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox and loved it.[/quote]

Thought The colour could be interesting living so "close" to NZ, mayb elearn something.
I do wonder if I should read The meaning of the night first since I got the sequal...

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu August 27th, 2009, 10:28 am

Glass of Time is supposed to be a sequel to The Meaning of Night, but I do believe you can read them as separate books.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Thu August 27th, 2009, 10:52 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]Glass of Time is supposed to be a sequel to The Meaning of Night, but I do believe you can read them as separate books.[/quote]

Thank you :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu August 27th, 2009, 1:23 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]The autumn is usually my favourite season too, but this year I feel depressed at the idea of the days drawing in, etc. Rainy and windy today - seems like that's it for the British summer this year.

Anyway, scary books. What about Barbara Erskine's Midnight Is A Lonely Place - I can't read that at night, it keeps me awake. About a writer who moves to a cottage by the sea in the middle of winter and it turns out to be haunted, big time.

Or Bram Stoker, Dracula.[/quote]

Agree about the dreary British summer :(

Re Erskine's books - I found Midnight a good read buta bit OTT, now House of Echoes is really creepy (similar plot to Midnight) with a bit of history thrown in, also Hiding from the Light is pretty spooky - set around Halloween and all about witches and the ghost of the Witchfinder General coming after a modern-day witch.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri August 28th, 2009, 5:24 am

[quote=""Veronica""]Wonder if you'll like this one (personally I didn't but wanna try her other books) :o [/quote]

And why didn't you like it? Just curious.

Return to “Archives”