Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sat September 12th, 2009, 7:51 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Must admit I didn't care for Galland's books much. Not wallbangers, quite, but it's active dislike vs. just a "meh" reaction.

Finally got my Amazon Vine copy of Nancy Goldstone's upcoming book about Joanna of Sicily. NF bio, looks very good. It's going on holiday with me!!

On Wednesday, bought Andrew Lambert's "The Gates of Hell", NF about the doomed Franklin expedition in search of the NW passage. Via PBS, got a Susanna Kearsley book I never owned a copy of (The Shadowy Horses), two Pamela Belle books (misfit's influence -- Moon in the Water & Chains of Fate). Also, finally got a copy of the Lodestar.[/quote]

I had the same reaction to Galland. I simply didn't care one way or another for her characters.

Let me know how the Goldstone book goes; wanted to request it, but got there too late to do so...

The Susanna Kearsley book is good... actually all of hers have been a hit with me.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun September 13th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Been on an online spree:

The Chatelet Apprentice by Jean-Francois Parot - French historical crime
The Phantom of the Rue Royale by J F Parot - in the same series as above
Murder on Bank Street by Victoria Thompson - set in turn of the last century New York
Vows of Silence by Susan Hill - not HF, English crime

and pre-ordered:

The Westminster Poisoner by Susanna Gregory - set in Restoration London
Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo - not HF, US crime
Last edited by Madeleine on Sun September 13th, 2009, 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun September 13th, 2009, 2:30 pm

Thanks to a gift certificate from Amazon, I bought Miss Marjoribanks, by Margaret Oliphant.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 13th, 2009, 4:24 pm

[quote=""Kasthu""]Thanks to a gift certificate from Amazon, I bought Miss Marjoribanks, by Margaret Oliphant.[/quote]

That one is so much fun. I enjoy Oliphant's writing, wish she was more widely read.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon September 14th, 2009, 2:45 pm

I spent two hours in the dentist's chair and am so full of Novocaine that I can only make caveman noises. As a reward, I splurged and bought The World of the Stonors by Elizabeth Noble (NF).

I suppose my dental insurance won't cover the consolatory book.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon September 14th, 2009, 3:54 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I suppose my dental insurance won't cover the consolatory book.[/quote]

It should. It really should!

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon September 14th, 2009, 5:20 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Been on an online spree:

The Chatelet Apprentice by Jean-Francois Parot - French historical crime
The Phantom of the Rue Royale by J F Parot - in the same series as above
Murder on Bank Street by Victoria Thompson - set in turn of the last century New York
Vows of Silence by Susan Hill - not HF, English crime

and pre-ordered:

The Westminster Poisoner by Susanna Gregory - set in Restoration London
Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo - not HF, US crime[/quote]

Wow, we have uncannily similar tastes...
Am glad to see the Parot series being translated; I've been reading them in French & they are good, although not quite as interesting as those of Jean d'Aillon, who set his during the reign of Louis XIV -- the 1660s and 1670s. Perhaps I enjoy them because it's less well-trodden ground in the HF arena.
I've quite enjoyed Gregory's Chaloner mysteries and Victoria Thompson's books -- have the latest, still unread, on my Kindle. Is it possible to talk about a Kindle TBR stack??

And I ADORE Susan Hill's series of Ian Seraillier mysteries. They are so... thoughtful. And character-driven.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon September 14th, 2009, 5:20 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I spent two hours in the dentist's chair and am so full of Novocaine that I can only make caveman noises. As a reward, I splurged and bought The World of the Stonors by Elizabeth Noble (NF).

I suppose my dental insurance won't cover the consolatory book.[/quote]

Feel better, BB!

And if they do pay up for the book, please let me know. I could double the size of my library that way...

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Tue September 15th, 2009, 2:08 am

Saturday:
The white queen and a Jean Plaidy book

Tuesday:
Fishing for stars - Bryce Courtenay
Brown sugar - Nancy Cato (HF)
The map that changed the world - Simon Winchester (HF)
All three second for only $8 (AUD)!
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue September 15th, 2009, 12:55 pm

They seem to have just started releasing the Parot books over here, I think European detective fiction seems to be the latest "craze" - lots of Swedish and Icelandic authors being released here too, needless to say, I have some on various tbr piles!

Have just ordered "A Rare Interest in Corpses" by Ann Granger, the first in a historical series (1864 or thereabouts if I remember rightly).
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Archives”