Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed October 15th, 2008, 8:33 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Did you meet him? How lucky of you to at least be that close!

SM[/quote]

No, he had two big security guys behind him and there was this very long queue of people lined up who'd bought his book and were waiting for him to sign it. But he glanced over at me and smiled. I nearly fell off my chair. His eyes are extraordinarily blue, almost piercingly so.

I did meet Leslie Jordan, though, the funny friend / foe of Karen Walker's on Will and Grace. He's tiny and hysterically funny; while I was signing, he slipped up to me and said, "No more copies of my book anywhere?" He'd been signing the hour before me and in fact had left one signed copy there, which I'd promptly bought. It's called Confessions from the Pink Carpet. I asked him to dedicate it to me and we got to chatting; he bought my book, with the quip "Who can resist a title with a queen in it?" and then looked over at Robert Wagner with a long sigh and said, "Isn't he just dreamy?"

That about summed it up, I think.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed October 15th, 2008, 8:39 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]No, he had two big security guys behind him and there was this very long queue of people lined up who'd bought his book and were waiting for him to sign it. But he glanced over at me and smiled. I nearly fell off my chair. His eyes are extraordinarily blue, almost piercingly so.

I did meet Leslie Jordan, though, the funny friend / foe of Karen Walker's on Will and Grace. He's tiny and hysterically funny; while I was signing, he slipped up to me and said, "No more copies of my book anywhere?" He'd been signing the hour before me and in fact had left one signed copy there, which I'd promptly bought. It's called Confessions from the Pink Carpet. I asked him to dedicate it to me and we got to chatting; he bought my book, with the quip "Who can resist a title with a queen in it?" and then looked over at Robert Wagner with a long sigh and said, "Isn't he just dreamy?"

That about summed it up, I think.[/quote]

Oh that's hilarious! He was hysterical as "Beverley Leslie" on W&G. I heard that they are hoping to spin off Karen and Jack into their own series, maybe he'll show up on that if it happens.

I tried to look up that title on Amazon and didn't find it, so I searched his name and the actual title is "My Trip Down the Pink Carpet".

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed October 15th, 2008, 9:21 pm

No, he had two big security guys behind him and there was this very long queue of people lined up who'd bought his book and were waiting for him to sign it. But he glanced over at me and smiled. I nearly fell off my chair. His eyes are extraordinarily blue, almost piercingly so.

Sigh....... he was a hottie in his day, nice to know he still is :)

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu October 16th, 2008, 9:50 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I tried to look up that title on Amazon and didn't find it, so I searched his name and the actual title is "My Trip Down the Pink Carpet".

SM[/quote]

Oops! I started reading it and had to put it aside because of a review book that came in. Thanks for looking it up. He'd be so mad at me for messing up the title. I got about a quarter of the way through and laughed the entire time. He talks about doing scenes with famous actors he had wild unrequited crushes on, like Mark Harmon, and how he'd flub his lines because he was so stunned by their beauty - even though he, Leslie, was dressed like a big alien monkey. He's just so smart and self-deprecating, and so southern in his wit.

I saw him last year here in SF when he came to do his one-man show about growing up gay in the south. He's even more funny in person; he got a standing ovation. I'd go see him again in a heartbeat.
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu October 16th, 2008, 9:56 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Sigh....... he was a hottie in his day, nice to know he still is :) [/quote]

Yes, he was perfectly gorgeous, wasn't he? It was so strange to see him so close and think, he was wed to Natalie Wood; he's best friends with Elizabeth Taylor; he survived the last years of Hollywood's "golden age" and made a successful segueway into television - and he's remained a true gentleman, by most accounts, too.

He definitely has that "celebrity" air about him. I've seen other, more contemporary movie stars when I've been in LA but none have that certain mystique the older stars carry. I once almost stepped on Faye Dunaway's foot at an event; she's stunning, too, and rather scary.
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri October 17th, 2008, 2:16 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]Oh, let me know what you think! I have an ARC too, but I'm swamped by research requirements right now. Jeri recently did a guest post on my blog that's quite witty and fun.[/quote]

She is doing a guest post over at Historical Tapestry next week, and the post is really interesting!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 17th, 2008, 2:04 pm

I once almost stepped on Faye Dunaway's foot at an event; she's stunning, too, and rather scary.
I think I'd be flashing on the "no more wire hangers ever" moment right about then :) :p

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri October 17th, 2008, 2:19 pm

picking up Heretic Queen today also getting the girls Halloween books, one wants scary the other anything but scary.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat October 18th, 2008, 11:04 am

I received a proof copy of The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent in the post today, to review for NewBooks Magazine. I volunteered via their website. It seems to have good reviews so I'm looking forward to reading it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat October 18th, 2008, 1:07 pm

I didn't get the Heretic Queen today, I decided I was in a Ann Rice mood, Love Knot should be ready in a week or so and I can't wait.

Return to “Archives”