Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri June 5th, 2009, 7:56 pm

Misfit, let me know what you think of the Medici book. I noticed that Vine had it listed as HF, when it's NF, but it's very good, I thought.

Must replace my long-vanished Rose for Virtue one day. That is still one of her best books, IMO.

I tried Elizabeth Aston's Austen-style stuff, but couldn't get into it.

Just downloaded Leonardo's Swans on Kindle, along with the Glassblower of Murano (one of the books I passed on with Vine, for some reason.)

But right now I'm immersed in a non-HF Vine offering, the new Stieg Larsson book, The Girl Who Played with Fire. It's absolutely brilliant, riveting.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Fri June 5th, 2009, 8:51 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]From the library,

A four in one from Victoria Holt - Bride of Pendorric, The Shadow of hte Lynx, King of the Castle and Mistress of Mellyn

Winter in Madrid CJ Samson
The Cowboy and the Cossack by Clair Huffaker
A Rose for Virture Norah Lofts

Courtesy Amazon Vine,

Murder of a Medici Princess Caroline P. Murphy[/quote]

I ordered the Medici book from Vine as well, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. It's been on my wishlist for a while.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri June 5th, 2009, 9:17 pm

Misfit, let me know what you think of the Medici book. I noticed that Vine had it listed as HF, when it's NF, but it's very good, I thought.
Argh! I thought it was a novel. Well, still interested but the library holds take precedence.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat June 6th, 2009, 12:46 am

My book depository order. The Time of Singing, arrived today. That was faster than I expected!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat June 6th, 2009, 12:54 pm

[quote=""MLE""]My book depository order. The Time of Singing, arrived today. That was faster than I expected![/quote]

I'm hoping my copy arrives today or Monday.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat June 6th, 2009, 5:14 pm

From the lib I got Flickering of LIght. I dunno if its a Christian novel or not. I hope not. We will see.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Mattigan
Scribbler

Post by Mattigan » Sun June 7th, 2009, 8:35 am

I bought a first edition copy of The Winthorp Woman by Anya Seton. It's in excellent condition. It was a splurge but the two cats and Mattigan (the dog) got it for me for my birthday. That's how I justify the spending anyway.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun June 7th, 2009, 11:12 am

With the last of my birthday money I bought:

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruis Zafon
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

(both half price!)
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun June 7th, 2009, 4:43 pm

Today finally managed to get The Time of Singing, plus non HFs: Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell, and Anita Shreve's Testimony.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Mon June 8th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Anybody heard of.... or read lliya Troynov's "Collector of Worlds" a novel about Sir Richard Burton, travels to India, his pilgrimage to Mecca and his search for the source of the Nile....Saw the film "Mountains of the Moon in the 90's....really enjoyed the film and Burton was very interesting and definitely marched to a different beat.....considering buying or checking out my Library....Thanks

Return to “Archives”