Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon March 30th, 2009, 11:13 am

I was away on a reading group this weekend and came home with:

The Aviary Gate by Katie Hickman
Peyton Place by Grace Metalious
The Voluptuous Delights by Peanut Butter and Jam by Lauren Liebenberg
The Sound of Butterflies by Rachael King
When We Were Romans by Matthew Kneale

I also came home with some books which were looking for a new home and were donated by other members of the group:

English Passenger by Matthew Kneale
The Drifter by Susan Wiggs
Wilt by Tom Sharpe
84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
Recipes for Cherubs by Babs Horton
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue March 31st, 2009, 5:40 am

Not a book, but book adjacent, I need a better lamp for my room, I wanted a swing arm wall lamp so I can have light shinning down on my books while I read and I can adjust it. The best and cheapest one I could find was $59.95 with shipping and tax, sigh, better be good!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Tue March 31st, 2009, 6:44 am

Today I called in to the shopping centre near the in-laws as MIL told me about a new clearance bookshop. Came away with The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones, as I remembered reading good things about them here, for a total of $10!

Also got home to find that Fortune's Slave by Fidelis Morgan, which I ordered from a good secondhand seller, had arrived.

Also got two ARCs; Stone's Fall by Iain Pears, and Outcasts United. The last isn't HF but still three books on the doormat is a good day!

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue March 31st, 2009, 7:08 am

Having a myriad of used bookstores at my fingertips is a dangerous, dangerous thing:

Mary Anne by Daphne du Maurier (thank you Misfit -- your review on Amazon sold me this one!)

Savory Suppers and Fashionable Feasts: Dining in Victorian America by Susan Williams

Eating with the Victorians by Tom Jaine and C. Anne Wilson

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue March 31st, 2009, 9:09 am

[quote=""Amanda""]Today I called in to the shopping centre near the in-laws as MIL told me about a new clearance bookshop. Came away with The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones, as I remembered reading good things about them here, for a total of $10!

Also got home to find that Fortune's Slave by Fidelis Morgan, which I ordered from a good secondhand seller, had arrived.

Also got two ARCs; Stone's Fall by Iain Pears, and Outcasts United. The last isn't HF but still three books on the doormat is a good day![/quote]

I want Cathedral of the Sea!

Today I received Miranda's Big Mistake by Jill Mansell and Why Shoot a Butler by Georgette Heyer.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 31st, 2009, 2:01 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]Having a myriad of used bookstores at my fingertips is a dangerous, dangerous thing:

Mary Anne by Daphne du Maurier (thank you Misfit -- your review on Amazon sold me this one!)[/quote]

;) ;) I just realized we have a used book story in town. Trying to avoid it at all costs, or better yet they don't carry books I like to read. Hope you like Mary Anne - I can't recall if it was Ludmilla or Vanessa who mentioned it here and I had to go out and read it. Quite a woman.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Wed April 1st, 2009, 11:47 pm

Frenchman's Creek dragged me to the register line in Borders today...

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu April 2nd, 2009, 8:49 am

Last night I picked up from the library:

All the Rivers Run (DVD)
Jewels of the Sun by Nora Roberts
The Piano Teacher by Janice YK Lee
Silent on the Moor by Deanna Raybourn

and the March edition of Good Reading magazine.

Today I received an ARC of Sabrina Jeffries next book Don't Bargain with the Devil.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Thu April 2nd, 2009, 11:34 am

Bought in the secondhand shop in town today :

The Assassins of Isis - Paul Doherty
The Slayers of Seth - Paul Doherty
An Evil Spirit out of the West - Paul Doherty
The Season of the Hyaena - Paul Doherty
The Year of the Cobra - Paul Doherty

and Reflections in the Nile by J. Suzanne Frank

Anybody here read this last one ?

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Thu April 2nd, 2009, 12:56 pm

Lucked out and found a complete set of Maurcie Druon's series on the last direct line Capet kings. In english. In a Leipzig bookstore no less.

I haven't decided whether I can wait for Secretum by Rita Monaldi and Francesco Sorti in english seeing it has been pushed back to the fall and the first book took forever to see it in english. Not sure if my vanity can handle the contant furrowed brow and the possible resulting wrinkles that would result in struggling through in German. And then there is the issue of Veritas which is also out in German already. Two doorstoppers in what is an incredibly weak fourth language when I have more than enough trouble with the the one I claim is my native tongue somehow still remains a temptation. Sometimes I wish I had been born with an obsession for things like American Idol and The Bachelor instead. Sometimes.

Return to “Archives”