Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat May 30th, 2009, 5:39 pm

[quote=""Kasthu""] :p :o
My sickness got worse today: I bought a copy of Barbara Erskine's The Warrior's Princess.

But I'm going to *try* to be better about not buying books starting next month![/quote]

;) :) :o :p I'd still be in the same boat if it weren't for a well funded county library. Speaking of which I just picked up Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Steward and Twilight of Avalon by Anna Elliott today.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat May 30th, 2009, 5:49 pm

I agree a wide variety in the library with lots of choices would change my book buying habit or at least curb it a little, our library here is so small everyting I want is an ILL, so why not buy it and have it for later.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sun May 31st, 2009, 4:41 am

Got my copy of Twilight of Avalon this afternoon. :D

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun May 31st, 2009, 1:48 pm

I won a copy of His Wicked Sins by Eve Silver over oat Goodreads, it's a gothic histoical romance about a serial killer and a single father who might or might not be the killer as it's only the women that get close to him that are soon the victims

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon June 1st, 2009, 12:39 am

I was checking my Wish List at Amazon and amazingly enough "Versailles: A Biography of a Palace" by Tony Spawforth was for sale for $6.99, so I snapped it up, I hope the seller comes through, I'll let you know if I actually get it.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Mello
Reader

Post by Mello » Mon June 1st, 2009, 6:07 am

Went to an ex-library book sale yesterday and picked up The Morning Gift by Diana Norman, The Passions of Emma by Penelope Williamson and Restoration by Rose Tremain, all for 50c each. I love it when I can find hard-to-get books cheap :)

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon June 1st, 2009, 6:44 am

[quote=""Mello""]Went to an ex-library book sale yesterday and picked up The Morning Gift by Diana Norman, The Passions of Emma by Penelope Williamson and Restoration by Rose Tremain, all for 50c each. I love it when I can find hard-to-get books cheap :) [/quote]

Well done on The Morning Gift! Great bargain!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon June 1st, 2009, 5:01 pm

I just did my first purchase from the Book Depository -- A Time of Singing for June's book of the month. I was pleasantly surprised by the low price! I'm curious to see how long it will take to ship to California, tho.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon June 1st, 2009, 6:36 pm

I'm in Colorado and I usually get books from them in 5-7 days - they are amazingly quick!

TLee
Reader

Post by TLee » Mon June 1st, 2009, 8:46 pm

Got the first part of my Book Depository order today (Thanks Amanda for the discount info!). Perfect timing for me to take them on my vacation next week. Looking forward to reading The Winter Mantle and Shields of Pride by Elizabeth Chadwick (those almost complete my Elizabeth Chadwick collection) and The Secret Alchemy by Emma Darwin.

Return to “Archives”