Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Fri August 28th, 2009, 6:37 am

[quote=""Nefret""]And why didn't you like it? Just curious.[/quote]

I'm not sure, maybe it was the way it was written. Still I'm very curious about her other books. (Always trying to give the author a second chance unless I find the book crap.)
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Fri August 28th, 2009, 9:14 am

[quote=""Veronica""]This is my last buys for this year!! (fingers crossed)
Joining the challenge at this forum and thought I might as well stick to it for the rest of the year.. really I don't need more books. really...[/quote]

And how long did I last for? 24 hours... :o
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri August 28th, 2009, 1:15 pm

I keep saying that, too: "this is my last order, then I'll hunker down and work strictly on the TBR." My problem is that one book always leads to another, which often isn't one that I already own.

I just ordered Company of Liars since it's not stocked by my local bookstore. Also ordered Paulette Jiles' newest, The Color of Lightning.
Last edited by Ludmilla on Wed September 2nd, 2009, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 28th, 2009, 2:06 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I keep saying that, too: "this is my last order, then I'll hunker down and work strictly on the TBR." My problem is that one book always leads to another, which often isn't one that I already own.

I just ordered Company of Liars since it's not stocked by my local bookstore. Also ordered Paulette Jiles' newest, The Color of Lightening.[/quote]

That's the problem. One mention of a book and/or author can upset the whole plan and send me on a new reading adventure.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri August 28th, 2009, 3:21 pm

I know - I keep vowing not to start on any more series of books, then along comes one which sounds too good to resist...and I've discovered a new author and a new series to go with it!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri August 28th, 2009, 7:21 pm

Just ordered The Unicorn Road by Martin Davies.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri August 28th, 2009, 9:39 pm

A nice haul today from Paperback Swap:

The World, the Flesh and the Devil by Reay Tannahill
Sally Hemmings by Barbara Chase-Riboud
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri August 28th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Boswell, Misfit and Tanzanite I love your lists at PBS, I've taken a few and added them to my wish list also.

from PBS (trying to save money in trying times)
The Leopard Prince and the Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt
Another Harry Potter book I think #4

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri August 28th, 2009, 10:19 pm

BB, this is really scary -- I just got the Syrie James "Jane Austen" in the mail this week, and am waiting for the Reay Tannahill to show up. (My old HC has gone AWOL and I want to reread it.)

I've just read a very very bad book courtesy of Amazon Vine. (thriller) Looking forward to getting Nancy Goldstone's new book, about Queen Joanna of Sicily, next week, as well as one by Joseph Kanon. I do have the new Audrey Niffenegger book to read; couldn't get into Time-Traveler's Wife, so we'll see about this one...

Coming from PBS: Two by Jude Morgan, Lords of Vaumartin by Cecelia Holland and Annette Motley's Green Dragon, White Tiger. Hard to tell what her historical novels are about, since no vendor I've seen has posted info about contents/subjects!

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri August 28th, 2009, 10:49 pm

Chatterbox -- Green Dragon, White Tiger is about the notorious Empress Wu of China -- the only woman to ever rule in her own name there.

Two nonfiction books from DBBC/Oxbow books arrived today, lovely editions that have been drastically reduced. The first is a massive coffee table book called At Home in Renaissance Italy -- the original price was over 100$US and it was just 25$ plus shipping, and the second is Dress in Anglo Saxon England, with lots of photos and drawings. Including something I had never seen before -- cuff-clasps.

Return to “Archives”