Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue May 26th, 2009, 6:17 am

[quote=""Anna Elliott""]
I just got a fantastic book called On The Edge of Dream, the Women of Celtic Myth and Legend by Jennifer Heath. It's a collection of retellings of Celtic legends with female heroines and the writing is just lyrical and lovely.[/quote]

Oh, that sounds nice. Will have to find it after I read your book. ;)

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Tue May 26th, 2009, 10:33 am

Yesterday I ordered from the bookdepository:

"Edward I: A Great and Terrible King," by Marc Morris (NF)
"Azincourt," by Bernard Cornwell
"Winterbirth," by Brian Ruckley
"Highbury: The Story of Arsenal in N5," by Jon Spurling (NF)

While tomorrow I will buy with a voucher I just received from Borders:

"A Storm of Swords, part 1: Steel and Snow," by George R.R. Martin
"A Storm of Swords, part 2: Blood and Gold," by George R.R. Martin

Curious thing about those two Martin books is in America they were published in one volume (all 1,182 pages of it!) while in the UK and Australia it was published in two volumes. Usually it's the other way around.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue May 26th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Posted by Alaric
"A Storm of Swords, part 1: Steel and Snow," by George R.R. Martin
"A Storm of Swords, part 2: Blood and Gold," by George R.R. Martin
Curious thing about those two Martin books is in America they were published in one volume (all 1,182 pages of it!) while in the UK and Australia it was published in two volumes. Usually it's the other way around
Here in New Zealand it was originally published as one volume, but later reprinted as a 2 volume set. As all versions are still floating around it causes confusion for people trying to work out what they should be reading! Martin got writer's block after that book, and it took years for him to complete the next one, "Feast for Crows" Hope the fifth one doesn't take as long to appear.

I enjoyed Ruckley's "Winterbirth" and the sequel "Bloodheir". There's meant to be a third book in the series coming out later this year.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue May 26th, 2009, 7:40 pm

The Eagle and the Raven by Pauline Gedge
(first time I've ever spotted a book by her in my local B&N, so of course had to grab it)

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Wed May 27th, 2009, 9:47 am

[quote=""annis""]Martin got writer's block after that book, and it took years for him to complete the next one, "Feast for Crows" Hope the fifth one doesn't take as long to appear.[/quote]

Yeah, A Dance of Dragons is supposedly being released in April 2010. My friend, who has read all four in the series and the one who recommended I read it, has this theory that it's taking him so long because the scope is so big, and Martin has now realised he's not actually that talented a writer to tie it all in properly, heh.

I just hope he doesn't die before it's all finished as he is meant to be writing another two after the next one. He'll be nearing his 80s (he's mid-60s now) by then at this rate.

[quote=""annis""]I enjoyed Ruckley's "Winterbirth" and the sequel "Bloodheir". There's meant to be a third book in the series coming out later this year.[/quote]

It's called Fall of Thanes and was released early this month. It's the only one I can find in bookshops. I was attracted by the cover and read the blurb, the concept is really interesting so I've been looking to find the first in the series.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed May 27th, 2009, 9:55 am

[quote=""Alaric""]Yeah, A Dance of Dragons is supposedly being released in April 2010. My friend, who has read all four in the series and the one who recommended I read it, has this theory that it's taking him so long because the scope is so big, and Martin has now realised he's not actually that talented a writer to tie it all in properly, heh.

I just hope he doesn't die before it's all finished as he is meant to be writing another two after the next one. He'll be nearing his 80s (he's mid-60s now) by then at this rate.

[/quote]

I'd agree in part with your friend's theory. I think Martin may now be out of his depth in his own work! :eek:
I think the books are terrific but because he has taken so long to write them, I've forgotten what happened at the start and I seriously do not think I have the stamina to go back and start again each time a new one comes out! My mum is hooked on them too, but she's 77, so she's hoping like crazy he gets on with them!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:09 am

[quote=""EC2""]I think Martin may now be out of his depth in his own work! :eek: [/quote]

Always the danger when you create a world with so much to it like his, I guess.

MedievalBookworm
Scribbler

Post by MedievalBookworm » Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:32 am

I can't imagine that A Dance with Dragons will actually be released in April 2010; they've been guessing publication dates for years now and I have learned to give up expectations. It was supposed to come out shortly after A Feast for Crows, but no luck. I can wait, I just hope that he doesn't write it further out of control so that book 6 takes even longer!

I'm trying not to buy books until I read more of my TBR pile, but I know I'm going to a library sale on Friday so I guess we'll see what damage I do then.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:48 am

[quote=""EC2""]I've forgotten what happened at the start and I seriously do not think I have the stamina to go back and start again each time a new one comes out! [/quote]

This is a series I've been wanting to read -- but somehow I felt that it was one where I wanted to wait till it was completed before starting on it. It sounds like I might have a while to wait...

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Wed May 27th, 2009, 12:21 pm

[QUOTE=Alaric;29051]Yesterday I ordered from the bookdepository:

"Edward I: A Great and Terrible King," by Marc Morris (NF)

Hi Alaric

This is a great bio of Edward 1. Marc Morris brings a different approach (and structures the book differently), to that of the classic Biographer of Edward, Michael Prestwich.

For me, Morris is more readable than Prestwich, while covering almost as much ground. The book (and the links to other works therein) has really helped in my research.

Enjoy!!

Ken

Return to “Archives”