Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

June 2009: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed July 1st, 2009, 8:43 am

Posted by Tanzanite
The Golden Warrior by Hope Muntz (about William the Conqueror and Harold). It was written in 1949 and some of the sentence structure and language is a little odd
"The Golden Warrior" is deliberately written in the style of the medieval saga; can seem a bit alien to the modern reader and take a bit of adapting to.

Currently reading Kate Ellis's 'A Perfect Death", latest in a series of mysteries in which a current murder mystery has links to, and parallels an ancient one. This one has a Cathar connection.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed July 1st, 2009, 10:31 am

[quote=""annis""]"The Golden Warrior" is deliberately written in the style of the medieval saga; can seem a bit alien to the modern reader and take a bit of adapting to.

[/quote]

I liked The Golden Warrior, but not everyone will appreciate the style.

chuck
Bibliophile

The Golden Warrior

Post by chuck » Wed July 1st, 2009, 4:12 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I liked The Golden Warrior, but not everyone will appreciate the style.[/quote]

I'm not sure how many times I stopped and started TGW...Definitely not a wall banger.....I'm glad I stuck with it....Munz's description of The fight at Stamford Bridge was worth the toil.......

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed July 1st, 2009, 4:28 pm

It was definitely not a book I sped through; read it in small doses. I really liked how she depicted Alfgar; the image was consistent with my own mental image of him. I've had a soft spot for Alfgar ever since reading Dunnett's King Hereafter.
Last edited by Ludmilla on Wed July 1st, 2009, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Archives”