Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

June 2009: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 1:50 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]I haven't read any HF for ages, and I don't see that really changing all that soon.[/quote]

It's nice to have a break and read other genres from time-to-time. :)

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 9:06 pm

My trip to Italy was a short one, and now I'm in the early 13th century with the Cathars in EC's Daughters of the Grail.

Speaking of EC, this weekend I went to my small local library where I found, to my surprise and delight, nearly all of her pre-The Greatest Knight novels...

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu June 4th, 2009, 2:53 am

[quote=""Alaric""]It's nice to have a break and read other genres from time-to-time. :) [/quote]

I often read around other genres, but generally throw a HF read in there somewhere!

Now I am reading Imitation in Death by J D Robb.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu June 4th, 2009, 3:05 am

I just finished Michelle Moran's Cleopatra's Daughter. Excellent! And I just started Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Angel's Game.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu June 4th, 2009, 3:07 am

I so want to read that book!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu June 4th, 2009, 3:42 am

[quote=""cw gortner""] And I just started Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Angel's Game.[/quote]

What is that about? I really liked The Shadow of the Wind.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu June 4th, 2009, 9:46 pm

I needed a quick break from HF and started reading a 1975 romantic suspense hardback I bought a few weeks ago at a Goodwill store. Or so I thought. It's The Lynmara Legacy by Catherine Gaskin. I'm totally loving the story which so far has taken place between the two world wars. Gaskin has sucked me into such an entertaining story! I don't remember reading her before now.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu June 4th, 2009, 9:51 pm

[quote=""Leyland""]I needed a quick break from HF and started reading a 1975 romantic suspense hardback I bought a few weeks ago at a Goodwill store. Or so I thought. It's The Lynmara Legacy by Catherine Gaskin. I'm totally loving the story which so far has taken place between the two world wars. Gaskin has sucked me into such an entertaining story! I don't remember reading her before now.[/quote]

I've never read her but I know my mum has. I remember seeing library books of that author lying around when I was a teenager.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu June 4th, 2009, 9:58 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I've never read her but I know my mum has. I remember seeing library books of that author lying around when I was a teenager.[/quote] Perhaps the county library has some more that I can discover - I'm glad your mum liked so many of them. Gaskin spins a long story and throws some extremely perceptive characters into the mix. She's someone I'd love to meet!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu June 4th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Finished Lords of the White Castle; I am definitely more of an HF gal than a RHF one; this one had just a little bit too much romance and not enough history. That being said, it was written so well that I couldn't leave it be. And the ending surprised me very much! I am looking forward to Time of Singing.

Return to “Archives”