Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

June 2009: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 12:47 pm

"Bones of the Hills," by Conn Iggulden.

Starting it tomorrow, though. I've just read about 300 pages in about three days days.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 4:15 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]I'm about 100 pages into Sarah Dunant's Sacred Hearts, set in a convent in late 16th-century Ferrara. I started it on the plane coming back home from NYC.[/quote]

Oooh! Jealousy flares. I requested an ARC from the publisher about a month ago, but I may have to wait until it actually comes out. I've really enjoyed Dunant's previous novels.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 11:01 pm

Reading ECs Lord of White Castle; about half way through, liking it quite a bit. Hope that my copy of Time of Singing shows up in my mail box when I get home next week!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 11:40 pm

Come to the Bower by J.Y. Bryan. Too early to tell if I like it at this point.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 2:34 am

Dunant hasn't really surprised me with the storyline so far, but I like the historical atmosphere she's created. I paid the price for trying to read it in the car on the way back from the airport yesterday - ended up with a headache. I should have known better. (No, I wasn't driving!)

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 4:20 am

Reading David Starkey's Henry: Virtuous Prince. So far, very interesing, very informative, and very different than what I was expecting! Anyone who does Tudor should take this one in. While Starkey does get a bit pompous and pendantic in spots, he still can dish up a good story. And it seems that he married Catherine of Aragon not just once, but twice...

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 7:07 am

[quote=""Telynor""]Reading David Starkey's Henry: Virtuous Prince. So far, very interesing, very informative, and very different than what I was expecting! Anyone who does Tudor should take this one in. While Starkey does get a bit pompous and pendantic in spots, he still can dish up a good story. And it seems that he married Catherine of Aragon not just once, but twice...[/quote]

I just received this book yesterday! It looks very interesting.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 10:02 am

Just started "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 10:31 am

I haven't read any HF for ages, and I don't see that really changing all that soon.

At the moment I am still reading In the Woods by Tana French and Why Shoot the Butler? by Georgette Heyer as well as To Beguile a Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

leehow
Reader

Post by leehow » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 1:31 pm

Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin

Return to “Archives”