Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

June 2009: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

June 2009: What Are You Reading?

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon June 1st, 2009, 9:46 pm

I'm reading Girl in a Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold, based on the marriage of Charles and Catherine Dickens.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon June 1st, 2009, 9:55 pm

The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan. 1950's Wales. For Amazon Vine. 5 stars and excellent as far as I've read. I keep wanting to go back to it when I'm supposed to be doing other things.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Mon June 1st, 2009, 10:20 pm

Season of Storms, by Susanna Kearsley (1920s timeslip set in the Italian Lake Disctrict).

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 12:59 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I'm reading Girl in a Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold, based on the marriage of Charles and Catherine Dickens.[/quote]

I wanted to read that. Please tell me what you think of it.

I finished reading The Fetch YA/historical/fantasy. It was completely awful.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 1:26 am

I'm about 100 pages into Sarah Dunant's Sacred Hearts, set in a convent in late 16th-century Ferrara. I started it on the plane coming back home from NYC.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 1:40 am

ARGH! I pick up a book to give it a start and whoever had it from the library before me was a heavy smoker. Thanks goodness it was only a maybe I want to read it book and not something I had my heart set on.

Flight of the Falcon by Daphne Du Maurier.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 3:02 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]I'm about 100 pages into Sarah Dunant's Sacred Hearts, set in a convent in late 16th-century Ferrara. I started it on the plane coming back home from NYC.[/quote]

Oh I wanted to read that one too. Please tell me how it is.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 3:28 am

"The Bull Dancers of Knossos", by Pam and John Raggart. A mystery set in ancient Crete. A Minister in King Minos' Council is disturbed by reports of an imminent attack on Crete, but no-one is listening to his misgivings. And what are the Princess Ariadne and her new Athenian "friend" Theseus getting up to (besides the obvious)? Very readable.

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 9:19 am

[quote=""Misfit""]ARGH! I pick up a book to give it a start and whoever had it from the library before me was a heavy smoker. Thanks goodness it was only a maybe I want to read it book and not something I had my heart set on.

Flight of the Falcon by Daphne Du Maurier.[/quote]

I hate that. A fabric softener sheet with the book in a zip lock bag can do the trick. Or set the book in a zip lock bag with kitty litter (if you have, moi? Sans cat). I've heard putting it in the freezer too but I think that people mistake getting rid of allergens because I once left a borrowed book in the car in the dead of winter. As if got to room temp. the pungency was way too ripe.

Currently reading the Dunant book as well. It's okay but I'm not a huge Dunant fan and it was a free arc someone else was passing on.

New historical fiction has been pretty light so far this year and looks to remain that way for the rest. Frustrating but the other piles of to-reads at least have been diminishing.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 11:08 am

[quote=""gyrehead""]I hate that. A fabric softener sheet with the book in a zip lock bag can do the trick. Or set the book in a zip lock bag with kitty litter (if you have, moi? Sans cat). I've heard putting it in the freezer too but I think that people mistake getting rid of allergens because I once left a borrowed book in the car in the dead of winter. As if got to room temp. the pungency was way too ripe.

Currently reading the Dunant book as well. It's okay but I'm not a huge Dunant fan and it was a free arc someone else was passing on.

New historical fiction has been pretty light so far this year and looks to remain that way for the rest. Frustrating but the other piles of to-reads at least have been diminishing.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips, but I think I'll let the librarians do it. I hadn't realized the book was NF anyway - not my cuppa.

I agree about the historical fiction lite, there's just way too much of it and the more I read from authors like Du Maurier......
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Archives”