Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Suggestions for April's Book of the Month

Retired Threads
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Suggestions for April's Book of the Month

Post by diamondlil » Mon February 16th, 2009, 8:45 am

So we had some very specific ideas for themes for April's book of the month in one of the other threads, but I have decided that it needs to be a bit broader so that more than one book gets nominated! ;)

The theme for April is therefore 19th Century books. It could be a book set in the 19th century or written in the 19th century or connected to that century somehow!

One nomination per person, and please write the full name of the book and the author so that I can easily find the details of the book.

This thread will close on 21 February
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Leyland
Bibliophile

The Last Crossing by Guy Vanderhaeghe

Post by Leyland » Mon February 16th, 2009, 12:29 pm

AlexWorthy suggested this novel in the last year or so, so I bought it, but haven't read it. It "delivers an exhilarating journey from Victorian England to the dusty whiskey trading posts of the nineteenth-century American and Canadian West."

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Crossing-Nov ... 276&sr=1-1
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon February 16th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Kept, A Victorian Mystery by D J Taylor
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon February 16th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Jamaica Inn by D du M

enelya
Reader

Post by enelya » Mon February 16th, 2009, 4:01 pm

Max Havelaar, or The Coffee Auctions of a Dutch Trading Company by Multatuli ( aka Eduard Douwes Dekker) Written in the 19th century it is a written accusation and condemnation of the Dutch colonial system. Here in Holland it is a big classic and it is one of my favorite books ever

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon February 16th, 2009, 6:04 pm

I would like to reread Jamaica Inn.

Here are a few other suggestions:

The Great Stink by Clare Clark (about the sewers of London)

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (about Mr. Rochester's first wife, set in the Caribbean), another novel I would like to reread

The Leopard by Guiseppe de Lampedusa (there's been a lot of buzz about this 1958 novel in recent years - it's set in Sicily in the 1860s amid the decline of the old nobility and the Garibaldi period)

Gone for Soldiers by Jeff Shaara (about the U.S.-Mexican War)

If I'm only allowed one nomination, I'll go with Gone for Soldiers, because there's very little Mexican War fiction, and I'm curious to read this.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon February 16th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Blimey, are we onto April, already?

This is an iteresting one.
"I really enjoyed "Kept", which is a rather gothic Dickensian mystery, and "The Leopard" is a classic about the disintegration of an ancient way of life.

I think I'll go for something Antipodean, and suggest Kate Grenville's novel "The Secret River", set in early nineteenth century Australia.
"A powerful portrait of the conflict between convicts and Aborigines --
this is a narrative whose outlines we know already: convicts transported to Sydney, eventually pardoned, encouraged to settle what seemed to be an empty continent. They didn't understand, and wouldn't have cared, that the land they were occupying was sacred to the mysterious, dark-skinned people who appeared and disappeared from the forests and seemed to them no more than naked savages."

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon February 16th, 2009, 8:02 pm

Drood by Dan Simmons.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon February 16th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Mr. Timothy by Louis Bayard about the grown up Tiny Tim of A Christmas Carol. Someone nominated this book before or posted about. It intrigued me, so I bought it and it is in my TRB pile.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue February 17th, 2009, 1:40 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Drood by Dan Simmons.[/quote]

Seconded :D

Return to “Archives”