Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

HF Poll

Retired Threads
Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

HF Poll

Post by Julianne Douglas » Mon February 9th, 2009, 10:34 pm

I just put up a poll on my blog about what motivates you to buy hf from a new author. I would love to have your input! Please stop by if you have a minute.
Thanks!
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Mon February 9th, 2009, 10:49 pm

I've just voted Julianne, and I'll be interested to see the final result.

As a writer it worries me that people may only want to read about well known characters. So much has been written about them already and for my stories I'm unearthing old local legends and re-working them for my novels. But many of the characters are unknown or lesser known people, though their stories are fascinating. But if I want people to buy my books perhaps that's not such a good idea after all. :confused:
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon February 9th, 2009, 11:10 pm

I voted based on the options you gave, but the one I chose is just as important as reviews of the author based on trusted sources.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon February 9th, 2009, 11:14 pm

[quote=""Libby""]As a writer it worries me that people may only want to read about well known characters. So much has been written about them already and for my stories I'm unearthing old local legends and re-working them for my novels. But many of the characters are unknown or lesser known people, though their stories are fascinating. But if I want people to buy my books perhaps that's not such a good idea after all. :confused: [/quote]

I'm tired of novels about Henry VIII's wives, Lady Jane Grey, Mary, Queen of Scots and any other well-known Tudor era person!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Mon February 9th, 2009, 11:24 pm

My vote was biased in favor of my 17th century HF, a little known historical male character set in England's great enemy, Spain, whose life was unique.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue February 10th, 2009, 3:28 am

[quote=""Susan""]I'm tired of novels about Henry VIII's wives, Lady Jane Grey, Mary, Queen of Scots and any other well-known Tudor era person![/quote]
AMEN! I agree 100%. How many more novels can we have of these people, though to be fair Jane Grey has only had one recent novel about her that I can remember.

[quote=""Libby""]I've just voted Julianne, and I'll be interested to see the final result.

As a writer it worries me that people may only want to read about well known characters. So much has been written about them already and for my stories I'm unearthing old local legends and re-working them for my novels. But many of the characters are unknown or lesser known people, though their stories are fascinating. But if I want people to buy my books perhaps that's not such a good idea after all. :confused: [/quote]

Yeah I'm a little worried about that too. I am currently working on two manuscripts and both are about average people.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue February 10th, 2009, 3:36 am

I voted for "premise of an intriguing plot", but would also buy based on "interest in an era or setting"- maybe it could be a mutli-choice poll? Though obviously it wouldn't be very helpful to your market research if people ticked all the options :)

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Tue February 10th, 2009, 7:30 am

I see no reason why I wouldn't buy a novel from a new author if the period and plot interested me just because they were a first-time author. I'm notoriously picky about what I read, though, due to a reluctance to waste money and always do some advanced research before buying. If I can't find a favourable review either here or amazon.com then chances are I won't buy it but if the reviews are good and it interests me, of course I will, irregardless of how many times the author has been published or if I have read them before.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue February 10th, 2009, 8:25 am

I've voted as well.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Tue February 10th, 2009, 8:45 am

I've voted for the interest in the era/setting but I do prefer characters less known than the usual troop and since you ask.. If I'm offered 2 very similar books with similar good reviews I usually go for the female writer and if both are, for the older :D although I'll eventually read both.
Yah I'm weird :D
Emi

Return to “Archives”