Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How many books did you read in 2008?

Retired Threads
Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 3:35 pm

I managed 61. I had hoped to read 75, but moving 4 times really cut into my reading time. Maybe I"ll make 75 this year.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 4:18 pm

Wow, all of you are so diligent. My reading patterns are very start-and-stop. I always have at least five books that are 'active' and another 20 or so that I might take a year or more to read in bits and pieces. If I really like a book, or it is making a particular splash, I will re-read it just to examine the reasons it resonates. And I will re-read sections of books that are pertinent to what I am doing right now.

I listen to a lot of books while walking, driving, or doing housework. Right now I am listening to the Far Pavilions on my kitchen player, the Scarlet Lion in my car, Birds Without Wings on my exercise MP3. John Grisham's the Testament has been in my truck for six months. (I don't use the ranch truck that often, and it's the only vehicle with a cassette player, so it will probably take me a year to get through that one.
On the nightstand I have the Last Jew, the Birth of Venus, Edgar Sawtelle, and the Conquered. Also the Rise and Fall of the Ottoman Empire, Asimov's Chronology of the World, and Jaroslav Pelikan's Jesus Through the Centuries: his place in the history of Culture.

In my purse is a copy of our book group novel for this month, which is about the only one I can guarantee I will finish in January. I can't imagine trying to keep track of the books I read -- can segments be counted?

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 7:27 pm

I read 92, some of which were really really long too! This is the first year I kept track.
I've seen the 100 book club on goodreads mentioned, how do I join that?

Dani
Scribbler

Post by Dani » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 11:12 pm

I read 35 which is record for me i usally read 2 or threein one year.

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 11:19 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]
Gyre: May I ask what you do for a living that makes you go on all those trips?

SM[/quote]

Assets Protection and Acquisitions for several large firms in an independent auditing position. And yes. AIG should have hired us.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 12:47 am

[quote=""gyrehead""]Assets Protection and Acquisitions for several large firms in an independent auditing position. And yes. AIG should have hired us.[/quote]

Wow, impressive!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 1:15 am

I read somewhere between 40-50 books in '08. I figure an average of one a week plus subtract some for a few book funks and big books that took a long time to read. There's no way I could read more plus do all the other things I have to do and like to do. As is my fiance says all I ever do is read, lol!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

LoisAnn
Reader

Post by LoisAnn » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 4:39 am

O.K. By our tally, my grand total for 2008 is 81.

Like others have said, this is my first year to keep track of when I read what particular book - it's been a fun & interesting journey ... and I'm looking forward to 2009!

Currently reading Joanna/U], by Roberta Gellis & taking others' recommendations into consideration, I'm stopping after this one and moving on to something else.

For one thing, 2009 will be the year of Niccolo!!
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. ~ Charles de Secondat

Michelle
Scribbler

Post by Michelle » Tue January 27th, 2009, 12:34 am

I'm too embarrased to even mention how many books I read in 2008.

I have a question though for you guys, do you all keep tabs on all the books you read, such as a 'book journal' or something?

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue January 27th, 2009, 12:37 am

[quote=""Michelle""]I'm too embarrased to even mention how many books I read in 2008.

I have a question though for you guys, do you all keep tabs on all the books you read, such as a 'book journal' or something?[/quote]

Heh! You can keep tabs on the forum now. There's a thread for you to list your books as you read them!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Archives”