Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How many books did you read in 2008?

Retired Threads
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu January 1st, 2009, 10:09 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]I am a relatively fast reader, and I have a three hour commute to and from work every day, so I spend most of that time reading!

Then I read a little bit at night, and on the weekends, but not too much.[/quote]

I am understanding this right...three hours to work and three hours home for a total of six hours?

Pre-kids (eons ago!) when teaching jobs were hard to come by, I commuted to New York and got a lot of reading done. I also read during my lunch time.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu January 1st, 2009, 10:23 pm

No, 3 - 3 and a half hours in total all day. In that time I can get through 200 to 250 pages.

I don't dare to read at lunchtime because I wouldn't ever go back to work.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu January 1st, 2009, 11:47 pm

I read a little over 90, but that number is extremely good for me, and if I didn't count some of the children's chapter books and YA, it would be more like 50. I'm also a slow reader, and to read this much, I end up neglecting a lot of things I need to pay attention to in real life. I also find that if I've been particularly affected by a book, I need a little time to recover between reads. Sometimes I grieve for the characters and can't settle into another book for days. I'm also easily distracted, deal with frequent interruptions, and my eyes tire easily.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 12:15 am

There's also the treadmill or other cardio of your choice. I have my handy flipklip that keeps most (not all!) books open and easy to turn the page with one hand. Makes it go a lot faster that way.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 2:10 am

I'm usually reading 2 to 3 books at the same time, sometimes 4 if I'm really ambitious. And I don't have a hard time keeping the subjects straight.

Gyre: May I ask what you do for a living that makes you go on all those trips?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 2:29 am

I don't usually keep track of the number of books I read in a year. However, this year I have a handy record from the reviews posted on my website. So this year, it was a minimum of 47 books (some books I reviewed in 2008 I actually read in 2007, and I also read some books I didn't review).

I read mostly in the evenings. A really good book can keep me up until 2 a.m. That happened a few times this year.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 2:54 am

Thanks to my reading log on the forum, I was able to tell that I read 63 books in 2008. This is down from the previous year. It's a decent amount, but it depresses me that I have more than that number novels sitting on the floor next to my desk, looking for shelf space (which is nowhere to be found).

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 5:42 am

Not counting the books that I've skimmed through, it worked out to 110 books (fiction and nonfiction) read and reviewed for 2008. Keeping a book log certainly helped!

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 9:48 am

I must have read about 50 books this year.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 1:12 pm

I don't keep a proper log, so this is only a guess. Not counting work and not counting research reading, probably somewhere around 30 books.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Return to “Archives”