Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2009 edition

Retired Threads
amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Thu December 18th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that I also have a New Releases section on the right side of my blog that I keep updated of all future releases. Drop by!

http://passagestothepast.blogspot.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Great Thread!

Post by Margaret » Thu December 18th, 2008, 7:48 pm

This is a great thread, by the way. Thanks for starting it, Gyrehead!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Thu December 18th, 2008, 8:07 pm

Oh, and I just found another one: The Miracles of Prato, by Laurie Albanese. Coming in January; about the Italian Renaissance (1456, to be exact).

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu December 18th, 2008, 8:17 pm

[quote=""Kasthu""]Oh, and I just found another one: The Miracles of Prato, by Laurie Albanese. Coming in January; about the Italian Renaissance (1456, to be exact).[/quote]

That one just showed up on my Vine newsletter. Anyone know anything about it? I'm getting gunshy with the HF books they offer, haven't had much in the way of hits yet.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Thu December 18th, 2008, 8:45 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]That one just showed up on my Vine newsletter. Anyone know anything about it? I'm getting gunshy with the HF books they offer, haven't had much in the way of hits yet.[/quote]

Haha, it showed up on my Vine newsletter, too! I've had general good luck with their HF offerings, though not so much as of late (The Fire, anyone?). I think the last success I had was Company of Liars. Still, I can't keep from hoping that there's a diamond among the rough...

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Thu December 18th, 2008, 9:00 pm

A friend who's a Renaissance expert enjoyed it. OTOH, the Publishers Weekly review recommended it to fans of historical romance. I enjoy some romances, but that made me think the love story was the main focus.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu December 18th, 2008, 9:42 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]A friend who's a Renaissance expert enjoyed it. OTOH, the Publishers Weekly review recommended it to fans of historical romance. I enjoy some romances, but that made me think the love story was the main focus.[/quote]

Ya, I saw that on the book page on Amazon. Why two authors listed? Anyone have any idea?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu December 18th, 2008, 9:44 pm

[quote=""Kasthu""]Haha, it showed up on my Vine newsletter, too! I've had general good luck with their HF offerings, though not so much as of late (The Fire, anyone?). I think the last success I had was Company of Liars. Still, I can't keep from hoping that there's a diamond among the rough...[/quote]

And let us not forget Lucky Billy or whatever the heck that one was called. Bad, unbelievably bad. :D

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Thu December 18th, 2008, 9:48 pm

I liked Lucky Billy, actually. Took a while to get used to, but the addition of the primary source material (Tunstall's letters home) was a good move on the author's part - it got me more into it.

Miracles of Prato has two co-authors who are friends, Laurie Albanese (novelist, memorist) and Laura Morowitz (art historian).

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Thu December 18th, 2008, 11:56 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]And let us not forget Lucky Billy or whatever the heck that one was called. Bad, unbelievably bad. :D [/quote]

Oy, I still have nightmares!

Return to “Archives”