Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historic Interviews

Your place to share your writing with the board!
Forum rules
This is for your original work only and is open only to members who have been actively participating in the forum. By posting in this section, you are representing that you own the rights to the material posted. You remain solely responsible for the content of the material you post here, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless Historical Fiction Online, its owners and moderators, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon the material you post here.

The administrators and moderators reserve the right to remove material that they consider plagiaristic, in violation of copyright laws, defamatory, or offensive.
Meneldur
Scribbler

Post by Meneldur » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 2:17 pm

Excellent news! Give my blessings to the Lady and His Highness.
Milady, I know esxactly how it ends. But I've been considering taking the Baron's side, and then switching back when John dies, like William Marshal (Junior). Or being a double agent, passing on information to John. Best of all, I hope I'll be able to dredge the Wash after King John passes it. Then I'll sell the treasure to museums and the current Royal family.
"Goodbye, Happy Fun Sunshine Land! Thanks for everything! I'll miss you most of all, scarecrows!" - Belkar Bitterleaf.

"I cannot decide whether you're a complete fool or an utter cynic."- Geoffrey Plantagenet.

"And thy renown went forth among the nations for thy beauty;
for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord God." -Ezekiel, XVI, 14.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 6:17 pm

[quote=""Meneldur""]Excellent news! Give my blessings to the Lady and His Highness.
Milady, I know esxactly how it ends. But I've been considering taking the Baron's side, and then switching back when John dies, like William Marshal (Junior). Or being a double agent, passing on information to John. Best of all, I hope I'll be able to dredge the Wash after King John passes it. Then I'll sell the treasure to museums and the current Royal family.[/quote]

Well, Meneldur, you're playing a dangerous game. Lady Moppet hopes it works out for you.

Update: Lady Moppet has given birth to twin sons. Mother and babies are now doing well, but the birth was not without drama. At one point KJ was charging up and down shouting "I AM THE KING OF ENGLAND! DO MY WILL!"

He had never seen a birth before and is now being treated for shock.

Lady Moppet thanks everyone for taking the time to vote and give her baby name suggestions. William and Sebastian were the most popular names for boys; Adele and Dangereuse for a girl. She will make the final decision over the next day or two.

Oscar is being looked after by Hodierna and is presently colouring in a picture of a dragon killing people dead.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 6:32 pm

Oscar is being looked after by Hodierna and is presently colouring in a picture of a dragon killing people dead.
Congrats on the happy event, I do hope Oscar doesn't have jealousy issues over the new siblings.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Meneldur
Scribbler

Post by Meneldur » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 8:22 pm

Congratulations on your sons, Milady! As for me, do not worry, I am quite skilled in 'games', especially dangerous ones *eyebrow waggle*.
"Goodbye, Happy Fun Sunshine Land! Thanks for everything! I'll miss you most of all, scarecrows!" - Belkar Bitterleaf.

"I cannot decide whether you're a complete fool or an utter cynic."- Geoffrey Plantagenet.

"And thy renown went forth among the nations for thy beauty;
for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord God." -Ezekiel, XVI, 14.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 11:30 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Congrats on the happy event, I do hope Oscar doesn't have jealousy issues over the new siblings.[/quote]

I'm afraid Oscar is not coping very well, although he is getting help.

To break the pregnancy news, Lady Moppet bought him a book called Why Is Mummy So Fat? and read it to him. He listened in silence till she had finished, then screamed until he passed out.

The book had to be taken away, as the sight of it brought on more screaming. Fortunately it has found an appreciative audience elsewhere: John's mercenaries love it.

Lady Moppet has now posted about her pregnancy experiences.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 11:59 pm

From the sound of your latest blog post Oscar is not doing well at all, since it appears he's acting out.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri September 3rd, 2010, 12:31 am

[quote=""Misfit""]From the sound of your latest blog post Oscar is not doing well at all, since it appears he's acting out.[/quote]

The toilet paper and dung attacks have stopped since Oscar started counselling, and since John explained to him that the babies had brought him a present (a castle). Oscar has nevertheless announced his intention of killing the twins dead, and Lady Moppet thinks they are better kept apart at the moment. KJ thinks he has solved the problem by telling Oscar that if he does kill the twins his castle will be taken away, but considering the family history, Lady Moppet is not so sure.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri September 3rd, 2010, 9:09 pm

So pleased to hear about the twins and Moppet being well. John's shouting is amusing, yet somehow predictable. How's he doing after the shock of seeing a birth?

Poor Oscar. I have it on good authority that he'll be hearing from Granny Aquitaine soon; there might even be a (surprise) visit in the works. Maybe she can help the boy.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri September 3rd, 2010, 10:58 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]So pleased to hear about the twins and Moppet being well. John's shouting is amusing, yet somehow predictable. How's he doing after the shock of seeing a birth?[/quote]

He's all right now. He is ridiculing the barons for not watching their wives give birth and saying they were too craven and did not have the stomach for it, unlike him.

He also went on a spree with his new Little Princess Platinum card and spent so much on presents for the children and Lady Moppet that Little Princess suspected fraud on the account. Lady Moppet's bedroom is filled with baskets of flowers, balloons, enormous stuffed toys and the like. Meanwhile, she is trying to learn to breastfeed twins and at the same time Oscar wants to cuddle on the bed with her. (So does KJ). She is a bit overwhelmed.
Poor Oscar. I have it on good authority that he'll be hearing from Granny Aquitaine soon; there might even be a (surprise) visit in the works. Maybe she can help the boy.
Oh good! I think Oscar would benefit from a chat with Eleanor.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun September 5th, 2010, 8:49 pm

Ok, so I have a question for someone -- probably Lady Moppet -- that is going way back to the early part of this thread (I decided to take a look at this thread and started at the beginning, not realizing it was from a year or so ago!!!). Anyway, I saw a couple of mentions of a "teddy" -- I'm assuming that's of the stuffed variety? As in Teddy Bear? And that King John's mistress had one?

I have always been under the illusion that "Teddy Bears" were named after the illustrious American President Theodore Roosevelt -- affectionately known as "Teddy" and also an illustrious big game hunter. However, if the answers to my above questions are "yes", then that begs the question --- who were "Teddy Bears" REALLY named for? Because obviously, Teddy Roosevelt wasn't even a twinkle in anyone's eye back in the 13th century.

Of course, since we're talking about mistresses here, perhaps the referenced "teddy" was, in fact, of some other variety not at all of the stuffed sort. (although, I guess even that variety could be, at times, "stuffed") :o If so, no explanation needed......

Thank you in advance for patiently answering my question that I should, admittedly, have asked a year ago when the relevant discussion was taking place. But, of course, I didn't even know of the existence of this forum a year ago. And I have always been a bit slow to catch on, anyway. But since reading the mention of a teddy yesterday, I have just had this burning need to know the real truth.......
Last edited by Michy on Sun September 5th, 2010, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Member Writings”