Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historic Interviews

Your place to share your writing with the board!
Forum rules
This is for your original work only and is open only to members who have been actively participating in the forum. By posting in this section, you are representing that you own the rights to the material posted. You remain solely responsible for the content of the material you post here, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless Historical Fiction Online, its owners and moderators, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon the material you post here.

The administrators and moderators reserve the right to remove material that they consider plagiaristic, in violation of copyright laws, defamatory, or offensive.
LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun March 21st, 2010, 3:37 pm

I'm hoping to start the Elizabeth I interview this afternoon, but as I don't know when it will be finished, I'll continue to accept questions for her.

So is there anyone else with a question for Good Queen Bess?

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Sun March 21st, 2010, 3:56 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I'm hoping to start the Elizabeth I interview this afternoon, but as I don't know when it will be finished, I'll continue to accept questions for her.

So is there anyone else with a question for Good Queen Bess?[/quote]

I wonder if she minds sharing her tomb with her half-sister Queen Mary?? Do they bicker? Who is on top???? :confused:

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon August 23rd, 2010, 12:38 pm

I am soon to interview Lady Moppet of 12th and 21st century fame.

Please post any questions for her by Monday August 30.

Meneldur
Scribbler

Post by Meneldur » Mon August 23rd, 2010, 2:05 pm

Milady, how much control do you truly exercise over King John? Do you occasionally 'play games' with him (I'm sure The Wicked Mistress has some scenes like that)? How would you feel if my people would join the Baron's in the First Baron's War?
"Goodbye, Happy Fun Sunshine Land! Thanks for everything! I'll miss you most of all, scarecrows!" - Belkar Bitterleaf.

"I cannot decide whether you're a complete fool or an utter cynic."- Geoffrey Plantagenet.

"And thy renown went forth among the nations for thy beauty;
for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord God." -Ezekiel, XVI, 14.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 23rd, 2010, 2:47 pm

I have a couple, especially as since I am a silly fool and believe everything written in a book as gospel. One book had King John playing wicked games with ladies and maidservants including The Night of the Living Statues. Has Lady Moppet any comment or has she participated in these games?

I've also been reading quite a lot of about Eleanor's sexual antics in her younger days, especially from a highly acclaimed historian. Does milady know if there's any truth to these tales?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Historic Interviews: Lady Moppet

Post by LoveHistory » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 12:03 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to join us Lady Moppet.

Not at all, it's my pleasure.

How’s the pregnancy going?

Slowly. I'm now at the stage where life is just intervals between visits to the privy. I spend so much time there I decided to splurge and order some luxury toilet paper. Of course that backfired. You'll find out how in my next post.

Got any names picked out?

Well, William and Sebastian are ahead in the polls at the moment. I haven't made a final decision. I asked Oscar what he thought the babies should be called, and he said, "Call them Stupid and Silly."

Is there any truth to the story that if either of the children is a girl, King John wants to name her Angelina?

He certainly hasn't mentioned it to me if so. According to the scan we're having two boys, but we don't rule out having a daughter later on. But she will not be called Angelina.

Has John been at any of your appointments? If so, how did he react to hearing the heartbeats?

He has been to my appointments, because it had to be explained to him that twins would normally have the same father. He is very excited now about having twin sons. When we heard the heartbeats I think he had some kind of emotional moment, because he rushed out the room and didn't come back for a bit. Could have been something he ate, though.

Anyway, he wanted printouts of all the scans and has been showing them to the barons, the bishops and anyone else who will take a look. Every time I come into the room there is someone peering at the printout while the King says, "And these are the male organs."

There’s a rumor that Lady Mittens is throwing you a shower. Are you registered anywhere?

If only that were true! Lady Mittens would have thrown a lovely shower. I'm afraid my shower was hijacked and turned into an appalling travesty. The barons and their wives are still in uproar about it. Again, more in my next post.

Had I been given the choice, I would have preferred to register with John Lewis or Baby Concierge. I don't recommend Little Princess's baby shower service because they push their own products and they're overpriced.

What was Eleanor’s reaction to the joyous news?

It went like this:

JOHN: Mother, Moppet and I are having twin sons.
ELEANOR: Oh, she's having one and you're having the other?
JOHN: No, Moppet is having them both.
ELEANOR: Then say so. I can't stand all this twenty-first century political correctness. I have to say, I'm surprised at Moppet. If I'd had access to contraception at her age you wouldn't have been born, I'll tell you that for nothing.

It’s been suggested that you should write a book about medieval parenting. Is that something you’d consider?

To tell the truth, although I won't use disposable nappies, I'll stick to modern parenting as much as I can. Put it this way, no-one will be rubbing honey on my babies' gums until they are over one year old.

Who would you like to play you in The Moppet Movie?

Rachel Weisz. No-one put Scarlett Johanssen in a brunette wig, for the love of God.

Your adoring fans, myself included, understand that in your delicate condition you need to take it easy and rest. That said, we also anxiously await your next adventure.

Will you be delivering the twins in the 13th century or more modern times?

Definitely the twenty-first century. After I saw that the preparations for the birth in the thirteenth involved building a coffin, it was a pretty easy decision.

What is King John like when it’s just the two of you?

Well, I've said before that he can be awfully sweet when he thinks no-one's looking. It has to be said that quite often he has an ulterior motive. But, really, he's just like any other king, lonely, oppressed by his responsibilities and wanting companionship. I provide that for him.

Yours is a unique situation. How do you and John plan to manage the challenge of raising children in two different eras?

I really feel that I am in a similar situation to someone who has married into a different country, religion or culture. The children will grow up with experience of both times. As they grow, it will become obvious which they identify more with. With Oscar, there was no question in my mind that he was a little thirteenth-century person trapped in the wrong time. As soon as I took him to John's court, he was like a fish in water. Our other children may not feel the same. All I can do is wait and see.

How does Oscar feel about having some full siblings?

He hasn't taken it well, I'm afraid. He can be very territorial. It's what will make him such a great leader, but right now it's causing us problems. More again in my next post.

The tales of your visits to Henry VIII’s court are always educational. Will you and John be visiting other royals of the past…er…future?

I'd like to, but there is the difficulty of my being catnip to royal men. John won't contemplate a visit to Charles II's court, for instance.

It must be difficult for a modern woman to adapt to your situation. Do you ever feel stifled by the culture of the 13th century?

I get more accustomed to it the longer I spend there. It becomes second nature to a certain extent. Also, as a royal mistress I have more freedom of action than a wife or a queen. I find that historians are now talking about thirteenth-century 'Moppet' culture as a proto-feminist development. After I came to live with John, other rulers began to call their mistresses Moppets, and then their subjects followed suit. There are now many royal Moppets and baronial Moppets, all modelling themselves on Lady Moppet, that is, on an essentially twenty-first century point of view. That would never normally happen, but because it's become fashionable to have a Moppet, men are condoning it. Some men are marrying their Moppets.

Is it true that King John has written a manuscript for a steamy romance novel based on your relationship and is shopping it to publishers under an assumed name?

I don't honestly think he'd have the time. He is very much occupied with his memoir, although when all's said and done it's as much fiction as fact. He is working with a counsellor to release repressed memories. He likes to read to me what he's done at the end of the day. Last time Eleanor came to visit John got very upset because she kept yelling, "Codswallop!" at frequent intervals.

From Meneldur:
1) Milady, how much control do you truly exercise over King John?

I wouldn't say I have control. I have influence, which is different. Now and again, I can put my foot down, but he won't tolerate it too often. And I can't really threaten to leave, because he knows I probably won't. It's mostly down to catching him in the right mood. And of course, there's always sex.

2) Do you occasionally 'play games' with him (I'm sure The Wicked Mistress has some scenes like that)?

Need I say that The Wicked Mistress is totally exaggerated? I'd say life with John involves constant game-playing. If you're talking about the bedroom, he likes to play chase, but I'm a little bulky for that at the moment. If you're talking about board games, we play Monopoly and Scrabble. It's a bit boring having to let him win, but if you don't he goes into a major sulk, so it's not really worth it.

3) How would you feel if my people would join the Baron's in the First Baron's War?

Meneldur, you know how it ends, so if you want to take the risk, it's up to you.

From Misfit:

1) One book had King John playing wicked games with ladies and maidservants including The Night of the Living Statues. Has Lady Moppet any comment or has she participated in these games?

I certainly haven't and as far as I know, they have no basis except in fiction. I'm sure John sleeps with ladies and maidservants all the time though. Whenever I go into the nursery, there's a fresh batch of babies, and when I look outside at the pig wallow, there's plenty there too. He says he doesn't know where they come from, but I think it's pretty obvious. Does it bother me? Not a bit. It gives him something to do when I'm ill or away and it doesn't change anything. I may not be Queen, but I certainly am Queen Bee.

2) I've also been reading quite a lot of about Eleanor's sexual antics in her younger days, especially from a highly acclaimed historian. Does milady know if there's any truth to these tales?

Not to my knowledge. I don't quite like to ask Eleanor about her sex life, but she's never struck me as a queen who thought with her panties. I will say, though, that she never goes anywhere without a young handsome troubadour in her entourage. He may be doing more than just singing outside her window.

Well folks, that's all for this interview. Join us again next time when we sit down for an intimate chat with Good Queen Bess herself.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 12:43 am

I'd like to, but there is the difficulty of my being catnip to royal men. John won't contemplate a visit to Charles II's court, for instance.
Oooooh, wouldn't we love to see that ;)

Thanks Miss M. Looking forward to future adventures.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 12:53 am

The Moppet interview was wonderful. :D
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 1:28 am

Thank you LoveHistory for posting this. Lady Moppet loved doing the interview.

In other news, I just got a text from KJ. Lady Moppet has gone into labour.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 2:08 am

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Thank you LoveHistory for posting this. Lady Moppet loved doing the interview.

In other news, I just got a text from KJ. Lady Moppet has gone into labour.[/quote]

My pleasure. Lady Moppet is a charming and gracious interview subject.

I hope it's not false labour. Nothing worse than being sent home from the hospital, especially if you had to time travel to get there.

Return to “Member Writings”