Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historic Interviews

Your place to share your writing with the board!
Forum rules
This is for your original work only and is open only to members who have been actively participating in the forum. By posting in this section, you are representing that you own the rights to the material posted. You remain solely responsible for the content of the material you post here, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless Historical Fiction Online, its owners and moderators, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon the material you post here.

The administrators and moderators reserve the right to remove material that they consider plagiaristic, in violation of copyright laws, defamatory, or offensive.
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sun September 5th, 2010, 11:50 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Ok, so I have a question for someone -- probably Lady Moppet -- that is going way back to the early part of this thread (I decided to take a look at this thread and started at the beginning, not realizing it was from a year or so ago!!!). Anyway, I saw a couple of mentions of a "teddy" -- I'm assuming that's of the stuffed variety? As in Teddy Bear? And that King John's mistress had one?

I have always been under the illusion that "Teddy Bears" were named after the illustrious American President Theodore Roosevelt -- affectionately known as "Teddy" and also an illustrious big game hunter. However, if the answers to my above questions are "yes", then that begs the question --- who were "Teddy Bears" REALLY named for? Because obviously, Teddy Roosevelt wasn't even a twinkle in anyone's eye back in the 13th century.
[/quote]

It's Queen Isabella who has a teddy bear. It's not clear how or where she got it because, as you say, there weren't teddy bears in the 13th century. It may be a Little Princess product as they were already exporting their products to the Middle Ages when Isabella married John. But no other instance of a pre-20th century teddy bear is known.

Hope you're enjoying the catch-up, Michy. :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon September 6th, 2010, 12:20 am

Surely can't be Edward the Confessor? He doesn't strike me as being the type to name a soft toy after!

Edited to say I don't even know why I'm getting Theodore and Edward mixed up! Who was Edward Bear? Winnie the Pooh?

Wasn't there an emperor Theodore?
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon September 6th, 2010, 4:05 am

[quote=""Miss Moppet""] It may be a Little Princess product as they were already exporting their products to the Middle Ages when Isabella married John. [/quote]

Ahh, what a forward-thinking company. Er, I guess that's backwards, thinking, isn't it? ;) At any rate, such progressive marketing absolutely delights my business-minded brain. Hmm, I wonder if they have an opening for a good Controller? ;)
Hope you're enjoying the catch-up, Michy. :)
Well, I must confess that I just skimmed and caught a few highlights. :o I found much of it going over my head, but perhaps that is because my head was kind of spinning. I get motion sick very easy, so you can imagine what zipping back and forth rapidly between centuries does to my inner ear.

[quote=""EC2""]Surely can't be Edward the Confessor? He doesn't strike me as being the type to name a soft toy after!

Edited to say I don't even know why I'm getting Theodore and Edward mixed up! Who was Edward Bear? Winnie the Pooh?

Wasn't there an emperor Theodore?[/quote]

Of course! Silly me, why didn't I think of that? "Teddy" was a common nickname for "Edward" for many centuries, so of COURSE Teddy Bears must have been named for one of the early King Edwards! NOT Teddy Roosevelt! He probably just absconded the name for himself, I could see him being the type to do that.

Now which King Edward, do you think? Were any of them the soft and fuzzy type? Or big game hunters?
Last edited by Michy on Mon September 6th, 2010, 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon September 6th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Actually I believe it was Eadric from Paths of Exile. Taeddy was a childhood nickname of his. ;)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 6th, 2010, 4:49 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Actually I believe it was Eadric from Paths of Exile. Taeddy was a childhood nickname of his. ;) [/quote]

Lol. Wik says this cartoon inspired it somehow. Who knows though...

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Historic Interviews: Good Queen Bess

Post by LoveHistory » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 12:43 am

Greetings Your Majesty, thank you so much for sitting down with us.

Thank you. I’m delighted to be here. Where would you like to begin?

Well, you come from some very well known bloodlines.

Yes, I’m rather like a racing hound in that regard.

Was it difficult for you being the daughter of Henry VIII?

How to answer…what is that word you young people use? Oh yes…duh!

You had a strong mother as well. Which of your parents do you think you take after the most?

I think I take after them both in equal parts. Of course I did not know my mother.

Do you feel that your legacy of being perhaps England’s greatest monarch somehow redeems your mother?

No. I do not feel that redemption was necessary. Mother got a “raw deal” as you call it.

We traditionally include a section of questions from our readers. Would you mind?

Not in the least. Proceed.

I'd like to ask what she thinks of the Spainiards on YT who say she was a killer.
Those accusations would be hurtful if they came from the English, but I really do not care what the Spanish think. They are jealous. I don’t even go to YouTube anymore. Facebook is more my style.

How about Twitter?

Not for me. It’s impossible to make grand speeches in 150 words or fewer.

Did Elizabeth resent having to choose between her career and marriage and a family?

Not at all. My early impressions of marriage were less than encouraging. As to a family, I’ve read several accounts that I was unable to have children; if they are to be believed, marriage would not have served that purpose.

Were you really unable to have children?

Only God knows for certain.

Dish the dirt - we want the real story of what happened between you and Thomas Seymour.
That is a rather impertinent and personal question. However, since I am amongst admirers, I will be gracious. I was very young and naïve and did mistakenly allow him some liberties, but my virtue remained intact. Though I was very much put out at having to part from my dear stepmother.

Quick follow-up on that. How did you feel when you heard of Seymour’s execution? Any regrets based in childhood fondness? Relief perhaps that you would no longer need to worry about his scheming?

Let me see if I can word this in a way that you modern people will understand. “Yo dawg, playa had it coming.”

*blinks* Um, Your Majesty, do you by any chance watch a lot of television these days?

Exactly so. I am quite fascinated by cable, particularly an American channel called MTV.

O..k.. That explains that. On to the next question.

I wonder if she minds sharing her tomb with her half-sister Queen Mary? Do they bicker? Who is on top?
The tomb is of no consequence. We’re not there you know. In fact I haven’t seen my sister in centuries. We seem to be separated, possibly by Divine plan to prevent bickering. But naturally I would be on top.

So the two of you ended up in…uh…different places?

I am not certain of that. It is rather crowded where I am. One could spend millennia here and still not meet with everyone.

Have you seen your brother Edward?

Yes, I have had that good fortune. It is almost as if we were never apart.

Looking at England since your reign, are there any major events that particularly concern you?

Indeed. A number of events really. The civil war was most abominable. What you call World War II is particularly distressing—the effrontery of that shameful little man to bombard my beloved London! The loss of the colonies was most unfortunate. Had I been on the throne at the time, it would not have occurred.

Let’s delve into that a bit further. How do you feel about American independence?

Well my opinion is rather beside the point now, wouldn’t you agree? It was all very provoking at the time, however I am now reconciled to it.

You said that if you’d been on the throne, the situation would never have been. How would you have prevented it?

Not suffering from madness would have been a good beginning. Still we cannot blame poor George for something over which he had no control. Grievances were properly attended to in my reign. Thus if I had been Queen at the time there would have been no desire for revolt.

You also mentioned being reconciled to American independence. So…no hard feelings then?

After so many years? Of course not. In fact I quite admire the early American “pioneer” spirit. Of course England will always and forever be first in my heart.

Interestingly enough, your heart is the subject of my next question. You had more than your share of admirers, and you were known to have your favorites. But who was the true love of your life?
England, of course.

I was talking about men.

Oh, were you?

You’re not fooling me, Your Majesty.

Very well. I suppose this much later it makes little difference. Robert Dudley was my greatest friend, and yes I cared for him deeply.

So would you say Dudley was the love of your life?

*smiles enigmatically*

I’ve read enough about you to realize that I’m not going to get anywhere further with that question.

Wise deduction.

So on to wardrobe then. You were kind of a clothes horse, weren’t you?

Well one expects a queen to maintain a certain style, and of course I have always had excellent taste in matters of fashion. I like to look pretty.

And you certainly were stunning, Your Majesty.

Were?

I mean are. Radiant, in fact. Death looks good on you.

*patting hair* You are too kind. I shall give you an estate in Shropshire.

Um…Your Majesty…you can’t give those lands away anymore.

Oh. Oh yes. Well then you’ll have to make do with gratifying an old woman’s vanity.

Which is quite enough reward for me. Thank you so much for joining us.
Of course. God bless you, and as always God bless England.

That’s all the time we have for today. Please join us again as we sit down with Richard “the Lionheart” I.

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Post by Russ Whitfield » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 9:43 am

Got to say that this feature is one of my faves on this forum. Absolutely love this stuff.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 2:08 pm

Thank you, Russ! Any questions for Richard?

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Post by Russ Whitfield » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 2:52 pm

Would you consider applying for the job of England football team manager.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue November 2nd, 2010, 9:28 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]
That’s all the time we have for today. Please join us again as we sit down with Richard “the Lionheart” I.[/quote]

Great, the interviews are back! I love these. :)

My question for Richard: You said you would have sold London if you could have found a buyer. Is it true you attempted to get crusade sponsorship from Swords R Us and Rosaries 'N' Relics?

Return to “Member Writings”