Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

British Spies Tapped King Edward’s Phone to Eavesdrop on Wallis Simpson Calls

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

British Spies Tapped King Edward’s Phone to Eavesdrop on Wallis Simpson Calls

Post by Misfit » Sun April 9th, 2017, 6:02 pm

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/briti ... on-n741906
LONDON — British spies tapped King Edward VIII's phone while he was having an affair with American Wallis Simpson, according to unsealed files examined in a new documentary.

Government ministers ordered the wiretapping over fears that she ran in fascist circles and he may have been leaking her secret cabinet documents. There were also concerns among intelligence officers that he had fascist leanings himself.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Re: British Spies Tapped King Edward’s Phone to Eavesdrop on Wallis Simpson Calls

Post by SGM » Thu April 13th, 2017, 12:21 pm

This is old news. It has been known for a long time that Edward was under suspicion and his activities once war had broken out only proved that the Security Services were correct to be concerned about him. If he hadn't been royal, he would probably have been locked up. John Julius Norwich, whose family were at the heart of British politics leading up to and during the war once said that Wallis Simpson should have a place on the fourth plynth in Trafalgar Square because she saved the British people from having Edward as king during their 'darkest hour'. If he had been king during the war, I very much suspect, the United Kingdom would have emerged from WWWII without a royal family. I also suspect that this had little to do with Wallis Simpson and everything to do with Edward.

It is highly unlikely that the full story will come out in my lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHgtUNVlFJc
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “History in the News”