Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Glasgow Scottish Water project uncovers medieval castle

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Glasgow Scottish Water project uncovers medieval castle

Post by Rowan » Wed March 23rd, 2016, 2:11 pm

I know stuff is being found all the time, but I think it's really cool when something is found even when no one was looking for it. Like not on a proper dig.
They came to light during a £250m project by Scottish Water to upgrade the city's waste water infrastructure.

The structures are thought to include a 12th or 13th Century castle used by the bishops of Glasgow, as well as the later Partick Castle.

The find has been described as the most significant piece of archaeology in the city "for a generation".

The features uncovered include ditches, a well and several stone walls.

There had been documentary evidence of the 17th Century Partick Castle. It was thought to have been on the site of the earlier castle used by bishops in what was then rural Partick.
Full article

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: Glasgow Scottish Water project uncovers medieval castle

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed March 23rd, 2016, 5:44 pm

This gives me 'old world envy' -- in the USA, the most we ever find as a few indigenous artifacts, and wood, bone, and leather just don't preserve very well.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed March 23rd, 2016, 8:47 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one, MLE. Lol

FredQ
Technical Librarian
Currently reading: The Templars, Two Kings and a Pope
Interest in HF: I like how HF can fill in the gaps where we don't have enough information.
Preferred HF: Everything about the Knights Templars

Post by FredQ » Sat March 26th, 2016, 11:42 pm

On the other hand, I have some friends living in Italy. A few years ago they tried to build an extension to their house, and they found some archeological stuff in the garden. The extension is now cancelled until they've assessed what is underneath the house. The thing is, it's pretty much impossible to build anything in Rome :D

Return to “History in the News”