Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Plague pathogens hid in Europe for four centuries

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Plague pathogens hid in Europe for four centuries

Post by Rowan » Thu January 28th, 2016, 4:40 pm

It's not hard to believe that the plague hung around for 400 years. Medical science hadn't come into its own for a long time, so they really had no means to eradicate it fully.
JENA, Germany, Jan. 25 (UPI) -- The plague known as the Black Death is estimated to have killed roughly half of Europe's population during the 14th century. The pathogens did most of their damage between 1346 and 1353, but new research shows the plague persisted through the 18th century.

Although scientists have made great strides in retracing the path of the Black Death, questions remain about its genesis and evolution.

Recently, researchers at the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History were able to reconstruct the pathogen genomes via analysis of DNA samples collected from the victims of the Great Plague of Marseille.
Full story

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Re: Plague pathogens hid in Europe for four centuries

Post by Lisa » Mon February 1st, 2016, 5:32 pm

I didn't count properly there and was worried you were about to say its still around today! :o

Although I have read of bubonic plague cases in the US recently, so I guess it's still alive and kicking there (possibly a different strain though).

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue February 2nd, 2016, 3:20 pm

Oh I'm sure any one of the old diseases could come back with a vengeance, Lisa. People just think it's all gone.

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Wed February 3rd, 2016, 10:56 am

If it doesn't exist already, there will probably be a Hollywood blockbuster about it at some point. It will have a name like Black Death: Apocalypse Zero and will involve zombies, helicopters and whoever plays Bruce Willis roles these days.

This is my prophecy :P

Return to “History in the News”