Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

FOUND: Suleiman the Magnificent's Tomb

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

FOUND: Suleiman the Magnificent's Tomb

Post by Rowan » Thu December 10th, 2015, 4:18 pm

I'm sorry, but how does one lose a tomb? I mean it sounds like it was almost immediately lost.
Suleiman the Magnificent's death was befitting of his name. Now, the lost monument marking his dramatic demise may have been found.

The Ottoman sultan was 71 when he perished on a battlefield at the siege of Szigetvar in 1566. By this time, he had ruled the Empire for 46 years, and had expanded his power over a good chunk of land—across the Balkans, down into the Middle East and across North Africa.

When Suleiman died, the spot where his tent stood supposedly became the burial place for at least part of him. His body was taken back to the Constantinople, but key parts (his heart and other organs) were buried by the tent. His death was kept secret for more than six weeks, because it didn't seem like a good idea to tell soldiers their leader had perished in the middle of a campaign.
Full story

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: FOUND: Suleiman the Magnificent's Tomb

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu December 10th, 2015, 4:27 pm

Fun article!
I should think that they would keep his death a secret until the end of the campaign--by Ottoman law, except for the one son who inherited, all the other first-degree male relatives had to be strangled. This to ensure there would be no civil war for the next sultan, since without the one-wife primogeniture system (where the first-born male automatically inherits) a bloodbath usually accompanied the passing of power.

I used to think the whole 'divine right of kings' philosophy was incredibly stupid, but with a greater understanding of history, I get it: without some outside-or-the-kingdom power to arbitrate (in this case, religion) every time a leader died, everyone suffered. On the other hand, if GOD had decreed that a certain person was born to authority (no mater how stupid or inept that individual might be), then the masses could get behind him and there would be peace.

The Ottoman system was simply appalling, but for those not related, it worked.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Thu December 10th, 2015, 6:30 pm

I guess that makes sense, MLE. At least it did for them. Now, not so much.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu December 10th, 2015, 9:35 pm

The amazing thing about modern politics in most countries, is that power has changed hands peaceably for several generations now.
Contrast that with the 2008 elections in Kenya, where half the country was destroyed over tribal issues and allegations of voter fraud. They still haven't recovered, although it's no longer news.
In earlier centuries, every time there was a power vacuum, everybody* hunkered down and prayed a lot.

*that is, everybody who wasn't actively trying to get their man (or woman) to the top.

Return to “History in the News”