Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

A castle has been found under Gloucester prison's basketball court

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

A castle has been found under Gloucester prison's basketball court

Post by Rowan » Tue December 8th, 2015, 10:10 pm

60 cm below the land surface. That's like 2 feet!! Amazing!!! Anyone hear of a name for this castle? "Like the Tower of London" and "resembles Canterbury Castle" aren't enough. :P
More details have been revealed about the castle 'similar to the Tower of London' which lies beneath the basketball court at Gloucester prison.

The keep walls of the Norman castle have been found underneath the basketball court with other sections of the castle expected to be under other buildings at the site.

The castle dates back to 1110 and was found by archaeologists who are investigating the site ahead of a new development on the site.

Chief Executive of Cotswold Archaeology, Neil Holbrook, said: "I am surprised by what we found; I knew there was a castle but I had expected more of it to have been destroyed."
Full story

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Re: A castle has been found under Gloucester prison's basketball court

Post by Lisa » Wed December 9th, 2015, 12:38 pm

That's really cool! They keep unearthing things right now, I just saw that a Bronze Age settlement has been discovered under the shifting sands in Orkney.

And with walls 12 feet thick... they should have just kept using the castle as the prison, no-one's going to break out of that!

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed December 9th, 2015, 3:39 pm

I know, right? Lol

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed December 9th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Yep they don't build 'em like that anymore ;)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “History in the News”