Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Caves Under the WWI Trenches

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Caves Under the WWI Trenches

Post by Margaret » Sun May 24th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Here's a fascinating article about efforts to preserve these caves where WWI soldiers hung out when not being bombed to smithereens in the trenches: Racing to Preserve the Underground Cities of WWI. I had no idea these cave shelters even existed, and they are not mentioned in any of the WWI novels I have read.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun May 24th, 2015, 8:46 pm

Wow, I had no idea, thanks for sharing. I've read some WWI novels in the last year, and some get down and gritty about the details of the trenches. Very sad stuff.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon May 25th, 2015, 4:08 am

Great article! I think the reason it isn't in any of the WWI novels is because the writers didn't know about these caves.
I sense a couple of great reads percolating in somebody's head, though. :D What a setting!

blueemerald
Reader

Post by blueemerald » Mon May 25th, 2015, 10:37 pm

This article is so interesting. Good to have this information/story available. Glad photos were included as I'm not just left to my imagination. Thanks for sharing Margaret.
I've read extensively various fictions about WWI. I don't recall any book incorporating the story of tunnels (such as documented in this article). I do remember several books describing the difficulty keeping the trenches intact due to the high water table in many areas of Flanders Field.
Such emotional and physical challenges people experienced with WWI. And such resolve, creativity and effort demonstrated to not just endure, but overcome the obstacles.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat May 30th, 2015, 3:59 am

Yes, the photos are amazing! WWI is not a period I'm drawn to write about, but the caves would make for great setting detail.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “History in the News”