Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New evidence for Battle of Hastings site considered

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

New evidence for Battle of Hastings site considered

Postby Rowan » Wed January 29th, 2014, 5:20 pm

It's not a huge distance from the current site, so I'd say it's plausible. I mean I doubt that when all was said and done, William put a marker of some kind on the exact spot where Harold died and said, "Built exactly on this spot."

New evidence that questions the traditional site of King Harold's death during the Battle of Hastings is being considered by English Heritage.

Battle Abbey in East Sussex is said to stand on the spot where King Harold died when the English army was routed by the Normans in 1066.

But Channel 4's Time Team claims he fell on the site of what is now a mini roundabout on the A2100.

Abbey curator Roy Porter said the theory would be taken into account.

English Heritage runs 1066 tours of the traditional site of the Battle of Hastings but the actual location has been disputed before.

Nick Austin, author of Secrets Of The Norman Invasion, claimed in 2011 that King Harold was defeated by William the Conqueror two miles away in Crowhurst.

Full story

Return to “History in the News”