Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jamaica Inn for sale

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Jamaica Inn for sale

Postby annis » Tue January 14th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Got a spare £2m? Jamaica Inn, the legendary smugglers' tavern in scenic Cornwall which inspired Daphne du Maurier's bestselling novel of the same name is up for sale.

A new TV adaptation of the novel is also in the works.

Story here
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/11/jamaica-inn-cornwall-for-sale-daphne-du-maurier

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland & Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Wed January 15th, 2014, 9:31 am

I like the way they omit to mention that it's just off the very busy A30, which is the main road in and out of Cornwall and has traffic thundering past! Not very scenic..... I have been there though and enjoyed my visit.
Currently reading "Lost for Words" by Stephanie Butland & "Emotional Geology" by Linda Gillard

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Wed January 15th, 2014, 11:50 pm

Oh dear, and here's me thinking of Bodmin Moor as being in the middle of nowhere! Must be a couple of centuries out of date :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland & Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu January 16th, 2014, 9:31 am

"annis" wrote:Oh dear, and here's me thinking of Bodmin Moor as being in the middle of nowhere! Must be a couple of centuries out of date :)

Parts of it are still quite wild, once you get away from that main road ;) Cornwall is generally lovely though.
Currently reading "Lost for Words" by Stephanie Butland & "Emotional Geology" by Linda Gillard

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Postby Rowan » Mon January 20th, 2014, 7:53 pm

It's haunted. BRB gonna scrape together the cash. Sell my soul to someone, etc. LOL

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Postby Carla » Wed January 22nd, 2014, 8:47 pm

"annis" wrote:Oh dear, and here's me thinking of Bodmin Moor as being in the middle of nowhere! Must be a couple of centuries out of date :)

You're not so far out; it's still 20-odd miles of bleak country with not a lot of habitation. It happens that the coach road that Mary travels is now a main road and there's a lot more traffic now. I still wouldn't care to break down in the middle of the moor, though, especially in wild weather.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Return to “History in the News”