Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cheapside Hoard on display

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Cheapside Hoard on display

Postby annis » Fri June 7th, 2013, 6:26 pm

For the first time all the recovered pieces of the Cheapside Hoard will be displayed together. It's a fascinating story- 100 years ago workmen in the Cheapside area came across a rotting chest in a cellar containing a dazzling stash of Tudor and Jacobean jewels. The workman wasted no time gathering up pieces and selling them off to local dealers, but many (though not all) were recovered.

Cheapside was once the area where jewellers operated, and it's thought that this collection may have been hastily tucked away in the cellar when its owner(s) fled the Great Fire of London.

Story here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2013/jun/04/cheapside-hoard-jewels-museum-of-london

Images of the Cheapside Horde can be seen at the Museum of London website:
http://www.museumoflondonimages.com/viewCollection.php
Last edited by annis on Fri June 7th, 2013, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Christmas Lights by Karen Swan & The Christmas Card Crime and other stories
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sat June 8th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Fascinating - surely it's crying out for someone to write a novel about it?!
Currently reading "Christmas Lights" by Karen Swan & "The Christmas Card Crime and Other Stories"

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sat June 8th, 2013, 9:42 pm

I'm definitely going to see this one - and I just love the Museum of London anyway!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sun June 9th, 2013, 5:36 pm

"EC2" wrote:I'm definitely going to see this one - and I just love the Museum of London anyway!

The Museum of London is one of my faves. I like the British Museum, but it's so overwhelming--and I always spend a fortune at the bookshop.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Sun June 9th, 2013, 5:47 pm

"fljustice" wrote:The Museum of London is one of my faves. I like the British Museum, but it's so overwhelming--and I always spend a fortune at the bookshop.

Me too, but tends to be via Amazon as the book I want always weight too much on top of the rest of my luggage! So I arrive home and beggar myself by mail order!
Les proz e les vassals

Souvent entre piez de chevals

Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Christmas Lights by Karen Swan & The Christmas Card Crime and other stories
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon June 10th, 2013, 10:50 am

I might have to mosey on down there and have a look too.
Currently reading "Christmas Lights" by Karen Swan & "The Christmas Card Crime and Other Stories"

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Mon June 10th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Never knew anything about this. Neat story, and cool jewels. Makes ya wonder who wore them and how they felt parading around in them. :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “History in the News”