Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

iPad and archaeology

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
annis
Bibliomaniac

iPad and archaeology

Post by annis » Fri October 15th, 2010, 7:59 am

I haven't got one yet, but I want one!

There's an interesting article here about how the use of the iPad is transforming archaeological investigations at Pompeii:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/pompeii/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri October 15th, 2010, 2:18 pm

That is so awesome!

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri October 15th, 2010, 2:54 pm

I've heard that the demand for developing apps for the iPad is going to explode. I think Apple is also working on developing a smaller version of the iPad. You'll notice some internet forms and applications are easier to work with than others when using an iPad (and you can begin to see where development is needed).

Using a touchscreen to type is tricky, especially if you are trying to input a lot of data (I can only imagine trying it from the field, like in the photo, but I'm sure it's quite handy for specific tasks). The drawing apps are cool -- my kids like them.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri October 15th, 2010, 5:56 pm

Very cool and impressive!

I wanted an Ipad but it was cost prohibitive right now, so I settled for the Ipod Touch.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri October 15th, 2010, 7:01 pm

Mine was an early birthday present from my husband. It was also partly inspired by the practical realization that our home office computer is on its last leg and he doesn't want to upgrade it for the umpteenth time.

I've had a few editing snafus using mine. For example, while working with my LibraryThing database, I accidentally deleted a book instead of edited it because the delete icon is next to the pencil icon (oops!).

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat October 16th, 2010, 6:50 am

Oh no! That's the sort of thing that brings me out in a fit of computer rage :) I'm like Sonja Marie -- I'm waiting till the price goes down and hopefully by then any bugs already sorted.

Return to “History in the News”