Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

UK & Ireland

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
princess garnet
Bibliophile

UK & Ireland

Post by princess garnet » Sun August 14th, 2016, 12:59 am

I'm off to the UK and Ireland on a small group tour for two weeks! I'll be meeting my fellow travelers in London then we're hitting the road. I'm using the same company as I did with my France and Budapest and the Balkans tours.

After the tour finishes in London, I'll be staying there for a few days and have booked a few activities and tours. See y'all when I get back!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Re: UK & Ireland

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun August 14th, 2016, 4:01 am

Is there an emoticon for 'envious'?
Have a great time! :mrgreen:

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Mon August 15th, 2016, 9:40 am

Have a great time, looks like we're getting a heatwave this week (which shouldn't actually be too hot) so you're in luck!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 15th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Have fun.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue August 16th, 2016, 8:52 pm

I have been expecting the heat wave for over a week and consequently stocking up my fridge and freezer with cold water and ice and the heat wave hasn't happened. London is horrid at anything much over 25 degrees celsius and just makes me want to make a break for the coast. However, I hope the rain hold off for your trip. I am hoping to be off to Dublin myself next month or maybe the month after as I need to use the National Library there and at some stage this year I need to do the same thing in Scotland. However, I do conveniently have relatives in both.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

AuthorUK

Post by AuthorUK » Thu April 16th, 2020, 1:33 pm

As someone resident in London, here are a few tips of things to see:

The obvious
  • Buckingham Palace (you need to book in advance and only in the summer months)
    Hampton Court - Henry VIII's home and the world famous maze
    Tower of London - see the Crown Jewels (but go early to avoid the queues)
Less obvious
  • Banqueting House - a marvel, the place where Charles I was executed by the people
    Kew Gardens - inside you can also visit Kew Palace - a retreat for Royalty many years ago. Amazingly the whole gardens were just for the royals. It is so vast that a cottage is built at the other end so they could rest during their walks.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue June 9th, 2020, 1:45 am

Since my 2016 visit to London, I went back in May 2018 and '19!
During my 2019 trip, I took the train to Edinburgh and stayed there for a few days. It was fun revisiting the city and taking day excursions in the countryside. Came back home with more books than I should have!

Return to “Travel”