Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Slains Castle

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
FredQ
Technical Librarian
Currently reading: The Templars, Two Kings and a Pope
Interest in HF: I like how HF can fill in the gaps where we don't have enough information.
Preferred HF: Everything about the Knights Templars

Slains Castle

Post by FredQ » Tue November 17th, 2015, 12:05 pm

As I was browsing random videos on youtube, I came across this really cool view of Slains Castle taken by an amateur drone.

It reminds me Lisa is trying to make me read The Winter Sea, but I haven't read it yet ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z63ZhADWDzI

We should go there for a visit again soon 8-)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Re: Slains Castle

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 17th, 2015, 3:01 pm

I think there are some nice pics of it on Susanna Kearsley's website too. Very evocative.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Tue November 17th, 2015, 3:57 pm

We keep meaning to go up there! It's only about 20 miles away, but it's coming into winter now. We just didn't have a nice enough day this year :lol:

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 17th, 2015, 7:04 pm

It looks very cool, thanks to Fred for posting the video link. Nice to see drones getting used for a useful purpose, instead of endangering aircraft.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed November 18th, 2015, 12:27 am

Ooh, fun! I've read the Winter Sea, wish I had this to look at. Maybe it's due for a re-read.

Return to “Travel”