Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Westminster Abbey

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Westminster Abbey

Post by Madeleine » Fri November 1st, 2013, 12:46 pm

I visited the Abbey on Wednesday, and I love all Gothic cathedrals and this one is exceptionally stunning - even Henry VIII spared it from the Dissolution. It's apparently the tallest in the UK, and is stunning inside - it's best feature is the Lady Chapel, which has a wonderfully carved ceiling, and the tombs of several royals, such as Richard II, Eleanor of Castile, Edward II (who founded the original Abbey), and Henrys V and VII (both of which are truly spectacular), as well as Poets' Corner and the famous Cosmati pavement.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri November 1st, 2013, 11:11 pm

I agree that the Abbey is mighty impressive, but Salisbury Cathedral has the tallest spire in the UK. I had a difficult time fitting the entire spire in a photo! Westminster Abbey does not have a spire, but the towers at the west entrance are 225 feet tall. Salisbury Cathedral's tower is 209 feet tall, and the spire is 404 feet tall. I am pretty sure that St. Paul's Cathedral in London is taller than Westminster Abbey. I think it was the tallest structure in London until sometime in the 20th century.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat November 2nd, 2013, 5:18 pm

Yes I think St Paul's was the tallest (maybe in the City skyline) til they built the Nat West Tower and, of course, now there's the Shard.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Return to “Travel”