Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Things to do in Boston

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Things to do in Boston

Post by Ludmilla » Tue May 14th, 2013, 1:30 pm

We'll be in Boston for a week in June. Does anyone have recommendations for places to visit, good restaurants, and family-friendly venues?

We thought about Martha's Vineyard for the day, but when we looked at what it would take to go over there we decided perhaps not.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue May 14th, 2013, 9:14 pm

I went to college north of Boston and visited a few times on day trips.

Faneuil Hall & Quincy Market area
Boston Aquarium
Copley and Prudential Center--great shopping!

I've eaten at the Bull and Finch (aka Cheers) Restaurant, inspiration of the TV show back in the day.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed May 15th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Haven't been to Boston (yet), but the Harvard Museum of Natural History sounds good.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Massachusetts trip

Post by Ludmilla » Mon July 1st, 2013, 3:38 pm

If anyone is interested, here is what we ended up doing while in Boston:

First, The Freedom Trail, which is a walk through many of downtown Boston's significant historical sites. We did roughly half the 2.5 mile walk, as it was very hot that day (upper 90s) and it would very well take the entire day to look at everything on the trail. Lesson learned: be sure to research where to park and start your walk, as parking fills up quickly and is expensive in downtown Boston.

The following day we went to MIT's Technology Museum and hiked two miles to Harvard's Museum of Natural History (I was thus a little worn out by the time we got to Harvard).

The rest of our time we took road trips to the following places:
- Plymouth, MA (pilgrim museum, harbor and the rock).
- The entire length of Cape Cod to Provincetown at the tip. You get a nice view of the town from Pilgrim Monument there. Lots of touristy shopping there (reminded us a lot of Key West).
- Salem and Gloucester, MA. We arrived in Salem too early for the museums, and I think my husband was feeling a bit nickel and dimed by that point. Some of the museums there include the Witch Museum and the Peabody Essex where Fabergé Revealed is on display. I did get a photo of the House of Seven Gables while I was there. In Gloucester we toured the Hammond Castle.
- Minute Man National Historical Park and Walden's Pond in Concord, MA. Emerson's Old Manse is near the North Bridge in the park, and it's a beautiful property with a lovely view of the Concord River. I can see how it inspired his writing. My pictures of Walden Pond didn't turn out very good as it was raining on and off while we were there. The trail around the pond is 1.7 miles. There are a few beaches, and the pond still attracts swimmers and fishers above and beyond the tourists.

I wished we had been able to take advantage of the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the Boston Science Museum, but it was too costly given everything else we were doing.

Almost forgot... we also drove to Providence, RI for dinner one night. We chose a restaurant in the Federal Hill neighborhood which is full of Italian restaurants. In fact, nearly every city we visited had a lot of Italian restaurants.
Last edited by Ludmilla on Mon July 1st, 2013, 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Travel”