Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Berwick-upon-Tweed

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Berwick-upon-Tweed

Post by Madeleine » Tue May 14th, 2013, 9:16 am

I'm just back from a walking weekend in B-upon-Tweed. Very enjoyable, we went to Holy Island/Lindisfarne which was lovely, and on Sunday got a bus to the border and then walked across the River Tweed into Scotland, to a village called Coldstream (where the famous Guards originated) and which is very near the site of the Battle of Flodden, although that actually took place back in England. There was a bit of info about the battle, with a monument in the form of a sword pointing in the general direction of the where the battle took place, and a brief history of the battle in the local museum. It's the 500th anniversary of it this September, so it looks like there'll be quite a few commemorative events. The weather was glorious for once and we had a lovely walk along the river.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue May 14th, 2013, 9:37 am

I always enjoy visiting places like this. Berwick-upon-Tweed isn't a place I've visited but would like to.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue May 14th, 2013, 10:04 am

Yes it's a nice town, on a lovely bit of coast and with quite a bit of history. It also has one of only about 5 churches from Oliver Cromwell's time, which we visited. And it's a good base for visiting other places, if that makes sense eg only about 1 hour from Edinburgh. Not many restaurants for the evening though!
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Return to “Travel”