Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Southern Spain

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat December 8th, 2012, 2:25 pm

I can thoroughly recommend Barcelona - something for everyone: beaches, galleries, good shops, history, plus the usual tourist stuff.

I can also recommend Lisbon - I wouldn't say it's off the beaten track; it has a big airport and is also reachable by train from other parts of Portugal and Spain, and it's more old-fashioned than a lot of other cities which makes it slightly different, and if you fancy relaxing a bit on the beach, that's only a short train ride away too.
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sat December 8th, 2012, 7:54 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I can thoroughly recommend Barcelona - something for everyone: beaches, galleries, good shops, history, plus the usual tourist stuff.

I can also recommend Lisbon - I wouldn't say it's off the beaten track; it has a big airport and is also reachable by train from other parts of Portugal and Spain, and it's more old-fashioned than a lot of other cities which makes it slightly different, and if you fancy relaxing a bit on the beach, that's only a short train ride away too.[/quote]

OOOh, I don't like Barcelona...

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat December 8th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Re comments about problems traveling as an American - There are ignorant people everywhere. If you go with an open mind, if you are respectful of other cultures, if you are patient when things are not done the way you are used to, and you aren't obnoxious, you'll do just fine.

I spent 6 months in Israel during the Yom Kippur war. I was perfectly safe. If you want to go to Israel, you should go. If you wait until there is no danger, you'll never go. But then thats the same everywhere - there is no escape from the chance of getting hurt or worse. You just use your head when you are out and about.
Last edited by Ash on Sat December 8th, 2012, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Mon December 10th, 2012, 3:09 am

[quote=""Antoine Vanner""]Dear Helen:

Just be proud to be an American anywhere you travel in Europe!

I'm not an American myself but I know that huge cemeteries in Europe are filled with Americans who gave their lives to liberate peoples who in some cases didn't have the gumption to resist Nazi tyranny in the first place and who in many cases collaborated enthusiastically and profitably with the occupiers.

"For Our Tomorrow they gave Their Today".

This applies in much of Western Europe.

And there's nothing stupid about a nation that put men on the Moon and has been at the forefront of scientific and technological development for well over a century. So hold your head up as an American in Europe.

If you do go to Southern Spain then you'll need to see the Alhambra in Granada. Cordoba and Seville are also unmissable and I personally like Cadiz also, though that more of an acquired taste.

Lisbon and environs (Belem, Mafra, Cintra etc) is well worth a visit, though many miss it as being a little off the usual tourist routes.[/quote]

Thank you so much! One of the nicest comments I've gotten on the internet!

Barcelona
Scribbler

Post by Barcelona » Mon July 6th, 2015, 7:16 pm

I actually live in Barcelona, so if anyone would like some travel advice, I’d be happy to assist. Here we have Gaudi, of course, but there are lots of other “modernist” architects that are lesser know but not less interesting… And fantastic beaches, especially just outside town such as Castelldefels… And great shopping. Zara, a Spanish brand to begin with is a lot cheaper here than anywhere else… Am I forgetting anything? The old medieval section of town… And the climate, of course. It hardly ever rains….

elissasmart

Re:

Post by elissasmart » Wed February 20th, 2019, 8:46 am

Barcelona wrote:
Mon July 6th, 2015, 7:16 pm
I actually live in Barcelona, so if anyone would like some travel advice, I’d be happy to assist. Here we have Gaudi, of course, but there are lots of other “modernist” architects that are lesser know but not less interesting… And fantastic beaches, especially just outside town such as Castelldefels… And great shopping. Zara, a Spanish brand to begin with is a lot cheaper here than anywhere else… Am I forgetting anything? The old medieval section of town… And the climate, of course. It hardly ever rains….
Never thought Zara is a Spanish brand. I visited Spain three times and it was always safe if you are not walking around dangerous neighborhoods
In 2017 I had to write critical thinking paper on the Spanish Civil War and I decided to get direct inspiration. I've been to Madrid, Fuentenovilla, Malaga, Getafe and Torre Molinos. I can say that people are very gracious there. During my summer trip I had only one dangerous situation when some guy tried to steal my purse. Spain is a developed European country and you shouldn't be afraid of something.

Ferdiz

Re: Southern Spain

Post by Ferdiz » Tue May 14th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Spain is safe, especially in you go to Malaga or Marbella area. Here are mostly rich people and they have no problems at all with anybody. Plus there are a lot of these hotels for sale in Marbella with can offer really good prices for summer vacation, worth a look for sure. In which part of Spain have you been in 2006?

Return to “Travel”