Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

France or Israel?hi

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Helen_Davis

France or Israel?hi

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed November 7th, 2012, 8:07 pm

I am saving up and working to get a career so I can save up to explore some more. I have an interest in both of these vastly different countries. I have a good friend in France whonwants to see me but i am more sympathetic to Israeli culture and would like the weather there. However I speak French whereas I dot speak hebrew. I hear French people are mean though and ive heard night the jews and arabs in Israel are not. So- where to?

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Wed November 7th, 2012, 9:30 pm

I've never been to Israel so can't help there, but my partner is French and I've spent quite a lot of time in France. I don't like to generalise entire cultures, but it is a common misconception that French people in general are quite rude. In truth they don't mean to be - they're just a lot more direct than, for example, many British people or Americans. Many French won't think to be careful with how they word things, having been brought up to be less sensitive, and not being used to this, our perception could be that they are being 'mean' even though no offense is really meant on their part. Conversely, people who are used to being more direct probably won't have a problem.

If you're quite a sensitive person you might find France a bit difficult at first, but as long as you persist and get yourself out there, meet people, make friends, you will get used to it and develop as a person. Research the culture in Israel too and see how you would fit in there. In my early twenties I lived in Japan for a year, and it took about three months to finally break through the 'culture barrier' and feel more comfortable. I'm quite a shy person so it maybe took longer than it should have, but in the end I was glad I did it, and it certainly taught me to see the world in a different way.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed November 7th, 2012, 11:51 pm

In France it would be a religious retreat with my mentor and some friends. In Israel I would be there to tour the Holy Land and maybe see Petra in Jordan while I'm at it.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu November 8th, 2012, 10:34 am

A tour of the Holy Land would be a great introduction to Israel.

Not sure what part of France you're planning to visit, but they are much more liberal over there, and less "politically correct" than the US and UK, for example you might find magazines such as Playboy prominently displayed on news-stands and kiosks. The French can be blunt, especially in the cities, but to be honest I think most cities are similar (New York and London to name but two!) - my friend and I were once lost on the Metro and a very helpful lady came over and asked if we needed help, likewise another time we were poring over a map and someone just came over and helped us. Try to learn a few words of basic French as that helps a lot. They do tend to have a much more liberal attitude in general, so try to keep an open mind.
Last edited by Madeleine on Thu November 8th, 2012, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu November 8th, 2012, 4:28 pm

La France?! I was just there for my 2nd time not long ago. (My 1st time was as a summer study aboard student in 2004) Took a 2 week tour around the country with a travel group and enjoyed it. Feel free to send a PM!

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Thu November 8th, 2012, 8:42 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]A tour of the Holy Land would be a great introduction to Israel.

Not sure what part of France you're planning to visit, but they are much more liberal over there, and less "politically correct" than the US and UK, for example you might find magazines such as Playboy prominently displayed on news-stands and kiosks. The French can be blunt, especially in the cities, but to be honest I think most cities are similar (New York and London to name but two!) - my friend and I were once lost on the Metro and a very helpful lady came over and asked if we needed help, likewise another time we were poring over a map and someone just came over and helped us. Try to learn a few words of basic French as that helps a lot. They do tend to have a much more liberal attitude in general, so try to keep an open mind.[/quote]

I think I'll opt for Israel then ;) I'll visit France when I'm a little older, or maybe just the Alps village where my friend is.

I'm blunt too, though, so I'd just give it right back to them. :D

Return to “Travel”