Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where are you traveling to next?

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon September 26th, 2011, 5:32 pm

Jay just got the word on where next year's X-org conference will be held (which means Oracle pays for his flight, the hotel, his meals and the rental car): Nuremburg! Oh boy oh boy, I'm still going through London, but I can't resist Germany. Ich sprechen eine kliene Deutch!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue September 27th, 2011, 2:40 am

Very cool! I'm trying to figure out a way to manage a trip to Heidelberg next year. Ich auch spreche ein bisschen Deutsch, aber es war besser vor einige Jahre.

A Germany page is inevitable, hopefully sooner rather than later, and I am determined that it will not be dominated by the Nazi era - there is a lot more to German history than that.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue September 27th, 2011, 5:45 am

Wasn't Nuremburg the seat of the Holy Roman Emperors for a good while?

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat October 1st, 2011, 4:46 am

[quote=""Margaret""]What takes you to Virginia? Will you be visiting any historical sites? Although I won't be able to create a Travel-by-Novel Virginia page before your trip, I do want to add more U.S. destinations.
[/quote]

Just going for a wedding.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun October 2nd, 2011, 5:25 am

Aw, weddings are nice!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun October 2nd, 2011, 7:46 am

Posted by MLE
Wasn't Nuremburg the seat of the Holy Roman Emperors for a good while?
It was, and an early centre for the German Protestant Renaissance. Unfortunately its significance as seat of the Holy Roman Empire made it very attractive to the Nazis, who took the Roman Empire and its German manifestation, the Holy Roman Empire, as a model for the Third Reich. As a Nazi centre it was heavily bombed and a focus of intensive house-to-house fighting which left much of its original medieval centre in ruins. Although it's compellingly disturbing to watch, the Nazi propaganda movie Triumph of the Will, which followed the 1934 Nazi rally at Nuremburg, shows a lot of the city as it was pre-war.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sun October 2nd, 2011, 6:00 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]Aw, weddings are nice![/quote]

Yeah, I'm going in a few hours. It's a nice walking town.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Leonardo Noto
Scribbler

Iraq

Post by Leonardo Noto » Mon January 30th, 2012, 11:52 pm

I just returned (a few months ago) from a little "trip" to Iraq. I can't say that I recommend it for vacationing, which is really a shame because the history of mesopotamia is unrivaled by virtually any other geographic region. I vacationed in Thailand a couple of years ago and that was a real blast. It's a great place to go because you can live off of, and have a great time off of, a few hundred dollars per week while you're there. There are tons of historical sites scattered throughout the country. Pueto Rico and Panama are both really neat, and historical, places to go if you stay away from the touristy parts.

Leonardo Noto
Author: The Life of a Colonial Fugitive.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed February 1st, 2012, 12:27 am

[quote=""Leonardo Noto""]I just returned (a few months ago) from a little "trip" to Iraq. I can't say that I recommend it for vacationing, which is really a shame because the history of mesopotamia is unrivaled by virtually any other geographic region. I vacationed in Thailand a couple of years ago and that was a real blast. It's a great place to go because you can live off of, and have a great time off of, a few hundred dollars per week while you're there. There are tons of historical sites scattered throughout the country. Pueto Rico and Panama are both really neat, and historical, places to go if you stay away from the touristy parts.

Leonardo Noto
Author: The Life of a Colonial Fugitive.[/quote]

I've often experienced a sort of biblical/historical cognitive dissonance looking at news footage and trying to assimilate it with the incredible fascination of the Cradle of Civilization and that area's history. Its antiquity is, as you say, unparalleled.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

DanielAWillis
Reader

Ticehurst, England

Post by DanielAWillis » Sat March 24th, 2012, 7:10 pm

I will be visiting the small village of Ticehurst, England (an hour train ride south of London) in a few weeks.

I am going for an annual conference that features writers about European Royalty. Although I have been familiar with the conference for several years, this is the first year I have managed to go.

I don't really know anything about the history of the area, so I am looking forward to reading up on it while there. I'll drop a note about the adventure when I return.
Daniel A. Willis
Author: Chronicle of the Mages series
www.DanielAWillis.com

Return to “Travel”