Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where are you traveling to next?

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon June 27th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Vienna would be fabulous! I've really enjoyed J. Sydney Jones's mysteries set in Vienna at the end of the 19th century. There are two, so far: The Empty Mirror (see review) and Requiem in Vienna (see review). The second works best as a mystery, but the first works just fine as a novel. These are the kind of novels where the setting becomes a character.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon June 27th, 2011, 6:58 pm

After enjoying myself so thoroughly at the HNS conference, I have decided to start saving my shekels for next year in London. I have some research to do there, anyway, and a friend who lives nearby. So no Chicago for me this year -- Jay will have to go to the x-org conference alone.

Now if they would only schedule 2012's conference in London (x-org also alternates between hemispheres, and it's always held in September, which is when the HNS conference is in 2012) everything would be perfect!

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Fri July 1st, 2011, 10:13 pm

Margaret, I'm sorry I missed you there! As it happens, we stayed in WA - and didn't even do Seattle (again ...) - oh, but Oly is so beautiful, and we did range around a bit; a beach park, a bit of Gig Harbor, a short trip to Tacoma for the Almond Roca outlet (hee). The weather, absolutely dazzlingly and astoundingly, was golden and gorgeous almost the whole trip, too; I only wore my sweaters and hoodies at home. :)

My nieces are simply amazing, my brother's garden is wondrously abundant (snow peas and lettuce right from the yard? heaven!!), the strawberries were the best I have ever eaten (and his marmalade and Hot Jam were stunningly good, too - ohmymymymy), and my family are a pack of laughing, wonderful beasties I am privileged to love. What a pefectly wonderful time!

Thanks once again to Misfit and those who made suggestions. I hit Orca books in Olympia, and had to ship boxes home to myself to accommodate all my goodies! Ahhh ... vacations are not a bad thing, I must say.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Sat July 2nd, 2011, 5:48 am

Gosh, if I had a brother with a garden like that, I wouldn't want to roam too far from it either! Northwest strawberries are the best. I live for the farmer's market!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sat July 2nd, 2011, 5:12 pm

His garden is WONDERFUL, and those snow peas were so abundant and delicious. :D
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun July 3rd, 2011, 3:20 pm

It was 118 degrees yesterday. Its time. Off to San Diego! 6 days of ocean, beach and weather that doesn't leave second degree burns on your hands when you get into your car....

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Travel-by-Novel Vienna

Post by Margaret » Thu September 15th, 2011, 7:41 am

I'm going to take a trip to Vienna coming July. Never been there before, but want to see Sissi's castle and taste the Sacher Torte!
Nickie, your trip has come and gone, but I finally did get a Travel-by-Novel page constructed for historical novels set in (or relating to) Austria and Vienna: Travel by Novel: Austria and Vienna. I had another request for a Vienna/Austria page by someone traveling in the fall - with luck, maybe I got it up in time for her, at least!

Hope you enjoyed lots of delicious Sacher Torte! Did you get any nice photos to share with us?

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Mon September 26th, 2011, 2:17 am

[quote=""Margaret""]Nickie, your trip has come and gone, but I finally did get a Travel-by-Novel page constructed for historical novels set in (or relating to) Austria and Vienna: Travel by Novel: Austria and Vienna. I had another request for a Vienna/Austria page by someone traveling in the fall - with luck, maybe I got it up in time for her, at least!

Hope you enjoyed lots of delicious Sacher Torte! Did you get any nice photos to share with us?[/quote]

Margaret, I didn't know you had Travel by Novel pages. I'll have to check it out!

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon September 26th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Virginia for the weekend. This week! :D
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Mon September 26th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Virginia for the weekend. This week!
What takes you to Virginia? Will you be visiting any historical sites? Although I won't be able to create a Travel-by-Novel Virginia page before your trip, I do want to add more U.S. destinations.
Margaret, I didn't know you had Travel by Novel pages. I'll have to check it out!
Yes, I have five of them now: Austria (and its capital city, Vienna), Ireland, New Orleans, Paris (and Versailles), and San Antonio. I'm working on one for Washington D.C. Also, a page for London is surely inevitable, although I haven't started working on it yet.

Return to “Travel”