Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where are you traveling to next?

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri May 25th, 2012, 4:28 am

In addition to Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures, there's another novel about Mary Anning: Curiosity by Joan Thomas. I haven't read either, but Curiosity is in the pile by my desk, and I do plan to get around to it one of these days.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

John Sliz
Reader

Pompeii

Post by John Sliz » Mon September 10th, 2012, 8:41 pm

I read Robert Harris' Pompeii novel a few months after I got back from visiting Pompeii and was thrilled by it. He really painted a picture of life in the town before and during the disaster.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue September 11th, 2012, 6:02 am

@John: I agree. Pompeii is a great book.

I'm going to travel to Italy again soon - this time, to revisit the Cannae battlefield, before I write an account of it in my second Hannibal novel.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

John Sliz
Reader

Post by John Sliz » Tue September 11th, 2012, 7:30 pm

Yes, visiting a battlefield is very important before you write about it. I didn't realize how small the Oosterbeek (Arnhem) Perimeter was until I got there... or how large and exposed Omaha Beach was.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed September 12th, 2012, 10:43 pm

Oooh, I'm jealous. I would love to visit Pompeii.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

John Sliz
Reader

Post by John Sliz » Thu September 13th, 2012, 2:23 pm

You won't believe how big Pompeii is. They have done a lot of work there over the years.
I was there with 63 high school students in 2003 and I think that everyone of them at least liked it, most loved it.

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Sat October 20th, 2012, 6:24 pm

I hope I can save up for a Scotland trip in 2013.

And there's always the inland tours of a few days. Probably another one to Thuringia or Saxony-Anhalt since this years was so much fun.

:Sarita:
Reader

Post by :Sarita: » Mon March 11th, 2013, 8:47 pm

I travelled to America (NYC) for the first time last week, and would like to go again next year, somewhere on the East Coast preferably - any suggestions? My friend would like to go to Florida but I'm not sure it's for me :o Perhaps Boston?
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

[Albert Camus]

MyTumblr
MyTwitter

:Sarita:
Reader

Post by :Sarita: » Mon March 11th, 2013, 8:48 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]Oooh, I'm jealous. I would love to visit Pompeii.[/quote]

Oh, ditto!
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

[Albert Camus]

MyTumblr
MyTwitter

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon March 11th, 2013, 11:34 pm

[quote="":Sarita:""]I travelled to America (NYC) for the first time last week, and would like to go again next year, somewhere on the East Coast preferably - any suggestions? My friend would like to go to Florida but I'm not sure it's for me :o Perhaps Boston?[/quote]

Sarita, it depends what you want to do and see while you are Stateside. I'm from VA and have been up and down the coast; are you interested in beaches and a resort style vacation? Shopping for clothes or art or antiques? Historical sites (if so, what draws you; we may be young, but the East Coast is crammed with American history of every kind)? Will you be traveling with kids or family or just your friend? And how long will you have? :)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Return to “Travel”