Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where are you traveling to next?

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat May 14th, 2011, 4:36 pm

Went to one college graduation last night, going down to Tucson for another celebration tonight. I'll be weary come Sunday, but its all fun :)

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat May 14th, 2011, 11:10 pm

I'm sure I've read Lake District novels, but my mind's a blank at the moment. The poet Wordsworth made it very popular, and Beatrix Potter lived there.
There's a cozy mystery series featuring Beatrix Potter as the sleuth. I haven't read any of them, but they sound ultra-cuddly. It starts with The Tale of Hilltop Farm. There were six of them as of 2009, and it's possible there are more now that I haven't caught up with. The list of six is on my website at http://www.historicalnovels.info/20th-C ... ritBefMyst. I'm tempted by The Tale of Hawthorn House, which involves a baby left on a doorstep and the alarming disappearance of Jemima Puddleduck. The author, Susan Wittig Albert, is American and lives near Austin, Texas - she also writes a contemporary mystery series set in Austin, with an herb shop proprietress as sleuth. I did read one of those, and it was charming.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun May 15th, 2011, 3:25 am

Posted by EC
I'm off to Cumbria this morning for a week - giving a talk at Cartmel Priory and taking the opportunity to have a break for the rest of the week. I'm sure I've read Lake District novels, but my mind's a blank at the moment. The poet Wordsworth made it very popular, and Beatrix Potter lived there.
For something medieval, there's Rosemary Sutcliff's YA novel Shield Ring, which is the story of the last Anglo-Scandinavian resistance to the Normans, based at Buttermere (the name Buttermere comes from its owner in the 11th century, a Norse chieftain called Jarl Buthar)

For something more lushly romantic and full of political intrigue, Kathleen Herbert's recently released Moon in Leo is set in 17th century Cumbria during the Restoration. Carla has done one of her excellent reviews here.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 1:52 am

I'll be heading for Washington state three weeks from tomorrow (not that I am excited to see my family!), hopefully to spend much time at the farmer's market, wandering the water with my nieces, maybe doing a day in Seattle ...

Fun suggestions shamelessly requested!!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 2:04 am

[quote=""DianeL""]I'll be heading for Washington state three weeks from tomorrow (not that I am excited to see my family!), hopefully to spend much time at the farmer's market, wandering the water with my nieces, maybe doing a day in Seattle ...

Fun suggestions shamelessly requested!![/quote]

Your family lives here?! Um bring warm clothes and an umbrella, who knows what the weather will be like then!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 2:11 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Your family lives here?! Um bring warm clothes and an umbrella, who knows what the weather will be like then!

SM[/quote]

Hehe, yes the weather has not been the best. Before I start spitting out suggestions, please let me know how much time you have, i.e. staying in the greater Puget Sound area or if you have more time to explore greater distances.

Absolutely, take a day trip (or longer) up to Mount Rainier. Considering the weather, you should have snow coming up to your eyebrows even at the 5500' level at Paradise. Even on a good (dry) year, Sunrise (6500') won't be open for some time. August is something when the wildflowers are in bloom. Paradise webcams here.
Last edited by Misfit on Thu June 2nd, 2011, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 4:15 pm

I'll soon be traveling to the Gulf of Mexico for a nice vaca with my own family and my parents. I love the ocean. I never feel claustrophobic there.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 9:24 pm

[quote=""DianeL""]I'll be heading for Washington state three weeks from tomorrow (not that I am excited to see my family!), hopefully to spend much time at the farmer's market, wandering the water with my nieces, maybe doing a day in Seattle ...

Fun suggestions shamelessly requested!![/quote]

The Bloedel Reserve is lovely and an easy drive.

The Victorian city of Port Townsendis always fun, along with a long tramp out at Fort Worden State Park (where An Officer and a Gentleman was filmed).

Make a weekend trip of it and keep heading west towards Sequim and Port Angeles. Visit some wineries and the lavender farms. Drive to Hurricane Ridgeand take the Hurricane Hill trail for some awesome views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, Mount Baker and Vancouver Island.

Keep heading west on Hwy 101 and see the gorgeous and very blue Crescent Lake. Don't miss the old lodge. IIRC Teddy Roosevelt stayed there, or at least visited.

Here'sthe state tourism website.

My favorite favorite thing to do outside of Mt. Rainier is go south to the border between Wash. and Oregon. Travel east along the Columbia River Gorge. See the old scenic highway. Hike as easy or as difficult as you want. Splurge and get a fireplace river view room at the Skamania Lodge. Keep heading east and see the Maryhill Museumand the Stonehenge replica. The view from the bluff is unbelievable. The River. Mount Hood and Mount Adams. Nice winery next door as well, and they have concerts and places to picnic.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu June 2nd, 2011, 11:20 pm

SonjaMarie, they do; my brother's been out there about 3 years now, and loves it very much. He's not in Seattle, but Washington is the neck of the woods.

Misfit, I won't be out long, but we hope to do a day trip to Seattle, and the day trip to Rainier sounds very nice as well. It's funny, my s-i-l hasn't been overwhelmed with suggestions of good kid-stuff to do on tour-y trips to Seattle, but of course we know about the major attractions. Port Townsend I am all too familiar with for personal reasons (not visiting, but an association), so in a way I'm glad it's unlikely we'd have time to go there.

Last time I came out, I actually quite enjoyed the weather; it was 105 here much of last summer, and my area does NOT have a dry heat. Last year was miserable, and we're already up to 98 on a sustained basis, so my brother talking about it being "warm" in the upper 50s doesn't dissuade me at all! I lived in a hoodie last time out, and will have it ready to go again. :)

Thank you!! I'll share this with the fam, and report back once we've had our fun.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Thu June 16th, 2011, 11:47 pm

To answer the questions in post one.

Off to Philippines (Manila and Panglao Island) in the near future.

And the last three years I've been to; Singapore, Bali, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Italy, Monaco, Spain, France, Ireland, UK. Too many cities to mention. The only book I read during all these visits were "The lady and the unicorn" by Tracey Chevalier. I loved it!! But was it cause I had a great holiday or cause of the book?
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Return to “Travel”