Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Croatia

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
princess garnet
Bibliophile

Croatia

Post by princess garnet » Mon September 6th, 2010, 8:39 pm

My travels took me out to Croatia for this past week, and I had a wonderful time. I'd never been to the Balkans before.
I was with a small travel group of 12 and a local tour director. We stayed in Dubrovnik, Hvar, and Trogir. I also took day excursions to Kotor, Montenegro and Mostar, Bosnia-Herzegovina. We visited Split for a few hours before ending our last day in Trogir. The region is rich in history and fascinating sites. If you like the natural environment, great views too.
Dining was good. Seafood lovers would be thrilled. The Croatian wines are great.

There are still reminders of the 90s Balkan Wars. Not so much in Dubrovnik but in Mostar was inescapable. Nevertheless Mostar is thriving as a tourist destination.

I'm glad I went!

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon September 6th, 2010, 8:58 pm

It sounds like a lovely trip! I've never been to the Balkans would like to go someday.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Thu December 2nd, 2010, 3:39 pm

Only just saw this post! Croatia is so great, isn't it, Princess Garnet? I've been twice - for a few days on the back of a 10 day trip to Montenegro in 2005, and then for 2 weeks this summer. I've also been to Slovenia, and thought it was wonderful too. My wife and I loved Croatia and Bosnia so much this year, that we've decided to go back in 2011, and explore different areas to those we've been in thus far.

For those of you with interest in all things Roman, the centre of Split is made up in its entirety of the emperor Diocletian's palace, and all the modern houses and apartments are built in/on/around the remains. It's absolutely wonderful. Then, just off the highway to Dubrovnik, and near the turn off to Mostar, there is one of the only known temples to Augustus, the first emperor. Preserved in a newly built excellent little museum in the village of Vid, near Metkovic, the site is a 'must see'.

On my 'to visit' list for next year is the amphitheatre in Pula, which is meant to be worth visiting...
Last edited by parthianbow on Thu December 2nd, 2010, 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: addendum
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri December 3rd, 2010, 1:00 am

When I was involved in international folk dancing, I fell in love with Balkan dance and music. I was amazed by the variety through the region - some influenced by the Austrian Empires influence, others by the Ottomans, and some inbetween. The group I was in had a performing section, and they went there several times before the war. I loved hearing them talk about what wonders they saw and the amazing people they met. . It broke my heart when the war started, and the destriuction just made me ill. I'd love to go there someday, but I suspect it won't at all be the same as when my friends were there a few decades ago.

I still cherish an outfit a friend brough back from me - a beautifully embrodiered dress from Croatia, and a pair of leather shoes from Serbia. I still wear them to folk dance festivals and parties.

Return to “Travel”