Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

B&Bs

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed July 28th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Yes, at some point I do want to give Pepys' diary a try. It is available through my library. Thanks for the tips!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed July 28th, 2010, 11:51 pm

On of the most dynamic exhibits I ever saw was at the City of London Museum. They had a diarama of London circa 1666. The narrator read from Pepys diary describing the fire, and lights would go off on the areas as he talks about them. An amazing visual and auditory display of what happened.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu July 29th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Yes, I remember that exhibition. But for me Pepys grabs me right at the beginning with the uncertainties about parliament and the army and General Monck's progress with his army through Britain (with no-one entirely sure which why he will jump) and Pepys' descriptions of the street scenes with those pesky apprentices playing up again.

I have fairly recently acquired his later diaries but have not had time to read them yet. Although, I am led to believe they don't have quite quality of the early ones. I remember one expert pointing out what a shame it was that we do not have Pepys' account of the events of the Glorious Revolution. We do have John Evelyn's diary for that but they do not have the richness of Pepys.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Thu July 29th, 2010, 8:03 pm

Is anyone familiar with a good B&B near Bosworth? I believe someone said it would be difficult for me to get there and back to London in a day (and actually have time to look around the site and museum) so I am all for staying a night in the area.

I saw one on a website - English Country Inns or something like that - but its reviews were mixed. Believe the name of the B&B was the Royal Arms Hotel and I believe it was listed as being in Sutton Cheney.
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu July 29th, 2010, 9:18 pm

Sorry, I can't be of much help here and hopefully you will get reply from someone who knows the area better than I do.

Leicester, Nuneaton and Coventry are not too far away and you should be able to find something reliable in any of these places. But I am sure someone will be able to give you suggestions for a more countrified location which would probably be far more pleasant. Maybe Warwick would be possible and there is a wonderful castle there.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri October 15th, 2010, 2:08 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]London Belongs to Me by Norman Collins. I haven't read it but it's on my list to read this year. It's supposedly very good. It's a modern classic.[/quote]
Found it today for $1 at a thrift shop! Maybe that is my "reward" for being a good sport -- I took my mom and aunt to thrift shops all day, which they love and I loathe. :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri October 15th, 2010, 8:36 am

I'm reading it at the moment, Michy, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it! In fact, it's going on my top ten for this year most definitely. Hope you enjoy it, too! It's very much a character based book.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

M.M. Bennetts

Post by M.M. Bennetts » Fri October 15th, 2010, 11:01 am

Have a look on Alastair Sawday's website for B&Bs or small hotels. For my money, they're the best listing. The houses and owners are all super--very individual, excellent food. Often they'll do an evening meal. And just fab in every way.

Diiarts
Scribbler
Location: I'm based in Hampshire (UK) but we also have a partner based in Kentucky, USA

Post by Diiarts » Sat October 16th, 2010, 1:24 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I am absolutely fascinated by the history of London (and I hope to visit the city someday, as well). I read London by Edward Rutherfurd many years ago and loved it. Are there any other good histories (either HF or NF) of London that you could recommend?[/quote]

Michy, without doubt the best combination of HF and NF I have read on London's history - at least in the 19th century - is Charles Palliser's THE QUINCUNX coupled with Jerry White's LONDON IN THE NINETEENTH CENTURY.

(I have given you links to the Book Depository where both are currently available with good discounts and you get free worldwide shipping. Oh, and you can pay in US$ too.)
www.diiarts.com - books for people who love books

Return to “Travel”