Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

South Pacific

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

South Pacific

Post by diamondlil » Sat February 20th, 2010, 10:56 am

It is a big birthday for me next year, and I am debating about going some where for the big event. It will be the first time I have left the country since I returned from overseas so it will be very exciting, and so now I am trying to work on starting to save up, and doing things like getting passports etc!

At this stage it looks like we might try to go somewhere in the South Pacific, most likely Cook Island. I was looking at renting a house, but I am not sure.

Anyone done any travelling to the South Pacific?
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Chris Little
Reader

Cook Islands

Post by Chris Little » Sat February 27th, 2010, 11:13 pm

would be my first choice for a return trip to the South Pacific. In '69 I took a French freighter from Sydney to Panama via New Hebrides, Tahiti, and Panama. Would not return to Tahiti, nor New Hebrides ... would really like to spend time in Marquesas, but Cook Islands just as beautiful and much more practical to visit from what I've read. Marquesas like Hawaii without people. Larry McMurtry wrote a book about traveling there

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun February 28th, 2010, 11:00 am

Thanks! I will see if I can find the Larry McMurtry book.

I am pretty much decided on Cook Islands now, but there is still a while before that changes!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Travel”