Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Vancouver, Seattle, Portland

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed December 16th, 2009, 2:38 am

Let me put in a BIG plug for Vancouver here, which ranks as one of the most beautiful cities I know.. (yes, including San Francisco...)

You get mountains and sea and green parks and...

Anyway, just a few highlights. Go up to Grouse Mountain (across the water, in North Vancouver); there are great trails and a cool suspension bridge -- super hiking. Spend a weekend day on Granville Island, which has a great and massive farmer's market and lots of cool boutiques, street theater, etc. Go whale watching out by Galliano Island -- the Gulf Islands are spectacular. Take a day or overnight trip to Victoria, on Vancouver Island. Go see the art gallery there (stuffed full of wonderful Emily Carr paintings) and go to the Butchart Gardens, marvellous gardens carved out of a former quarry. It's stunning. Have afternoon tea at the Empress in Victoria (right in the harbor) before heading back. Rent bikes and go cycling through Stanley Park in Vancouver.

Don't have recommendations of places to stay (I stay with friends, often) but am sure you could Google bed & breakfast places. Look for something in North Vancouver -- it would be cheaper and the trip into the city is straightforward. (You can do it by boat!) The rapid transit system is easy and straightforward.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 16th, 2009, 2:55 am

Vancouver didn't knock my socks off except for Stanley Park (Whistler was cool but I am not a skier), but I did like Robson Street in downtown Vancouver. Think Rodeo Drive. Furs, cigars and chocolates. Although the only store that really sucked me in and I spent money at was Chapters - books books and more books. You just don't find Chadwick and Erskine on the shelves at US bookstores. I haven't been to Vancouver Island and Victoria since I was a young pup and that was many many years ago.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed December 16th, 2009, 2:57 am

I haven't been to Vanc since '86 and Victoria (where my best friend lives) since 2003. Victoria had a street of antique stores that I loved perusing.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed December 16th, 2009, 3:37 am

[quote=""Misfit""]the only store that really sucked me in and I spent money at was Chapters - books books and more books. You just don't find Chadwick and Erskine on the shelves at US bookstores.[/quote]

Ash, that's another boon to Vancouver. Canadian bookstores import both US AND UK books. You can stock up on Canadian authors like Pauline Gedge (and I think Susanna Kearsley is Canadian, too), pick up some EC books and get your English HF fix.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed December 16th, 2009, 3:46 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]If it's feasible and you guys want to, maybe we 3 can meet for lunch or coffee (even though I don't really drink it, lol). Just an idea.

SM[/quote]

Oh we'd love to - even David; he has been to enough of my F2F events with my virtual friends that he has come to enjoy them. I'll keep you guys posted as we get closer.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 16th, 2009, 4:46 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Ash, that's another boon to Vancouver. Canadian bookstores import both US AND UK books. You can stock up on Canadian authors like Pauline Gedge (and I think Susanna Kearsley is Canadian, too), pick up some EC books and get your English HF fix.[/quote]

Poor Ash, between Chapters and Powell's it won't be a cheap trip :o

There's always my favorite new discovery in Federal Way, The Black Bear Diner. Remember when omlettes used to be so big they took over the whole plate? Two inch high biscuits? You can find them here. Yum.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue December 29th, 2009, 7:52 pm

I have only been to Portland once. That trip was only about four days, and was five years ago. And I have been wanting to go back ever since. Now, I just need an excuse.

Next year, if all goes according to plan, I will finally be visiting Vancouver. I have been wanting to see it for years.

Return to “Travel”