Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Viking Ship Museum, Oslo

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Viking Ship Museum, Oslo

Post by parthianbow » Mon October 12th, 2009, 9:27 am

If anyone ever visits the fantastic country of Norway, the biggest must see IMHO (apart from the stunning scenery) is the compact but incredible Viking Ship Museum in Oslo. Built in the shape of a cross, with the entrance and main information area in the bottom 'arm', it houses a Viking ship in each of the other 3 'arms'. One of them was used at sea, probably as a warship. To be able to see the real thing, from close up, is a truly amazing experience, and one of the most historically evocative events of my life.
And as a big plus, you get a lovely boat trip out to the museum!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Mon October 12th, 2009, 3:53 pm

I've been there. Pre-digital camera times unfortunately, so I don't have pretty pics. I agree, those ships are fascinating.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue October 13th, 2009, 4:17 pm

Those ships are so stunningly beautiful in full sail..........But can you imagine living on Lindisfarne Island in the 8th Century and seeing those beautiful ships and yet; at the same time the expected coming terror must have been overwhelming.....

Return to “Travel”