Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

My History Tours

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu February 18th, 2010, 10:12 pm

OoH- do you have any pictures? Hope no one's annoyed you lately--

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Thu February 18th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Lol, I wish I could have a real Roman dagger. :) But I do have a Swedish hunting knife. :p

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Thu February 18th, 2010, 10:43 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Parthianbow

Darn, another cherished archetype down the drain! Are animal-skin wearing standard-bearers mentioned in Roman documents anywhere?

Btw, I discovered that there never was a Roman naval station called Theodosia at Dumbarton, though everyone feels it unlikely that the Romans wouldn't have had some sort of base there. It turned out to be a case of “reader beware’.

The Teutoberger Wald miniatures are very cool . Has anyone read Turtledove's recent novel, "Give Me Back My Legions"? It seems to have drawn fairly unexcited reviews. Here's one from Mary Harrsch
http://ancientbooks.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... harry.html[/quote]

Errmm, that was my fevered brain mis-reading a thread on romanarmy.com when looking for something else. In fact, what I meant to say, was that the commonly depicted (in modern day) wolfskin headdresses, were not definitely used. They may have been, but there is no surviving depiction of one. Before more Roman aficionados hack me down with their gladii, real or virtual, there is lots of evidence for bearkskin headdresses etc. etc.
(Basically, when one is down in Cornwall, writing 10-12 hours/day, one should not put posts up unless one has the information for such right in front of one. :o )

Thanks for the info re Dumbarton - I'd seen some of your interesting posts on the thread about it.

Have a copy of Turtledove's book. Have read one chapter, ages ago. Have not read any more. Nuff said. ;)

Gabriele - I have two Roman gladii, and a Republican scutum! :cool:
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu February 18th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Posted by Parthianbow
Have a copy of Turtledove's book. Have read one chapter, ages ago. Have not read any more. Nuff said.
Won't bother then. I had a similar experience with a book called "Raelina's Flowers", which is set in the aftermath of the Teutoberger Wald Battle. The most purely awful novel I've ever attempted to read (and I didn't get past the first chapter). It's a reminder of why self-published books aren't always a good idea--

Although I have a taste for gory action in my fiction, I'm really very harmless and promise I won't hack you down with my virtual gladius (can't say what Gabriele might do, of course) :)
Last edited by annis on Thu February 18th, 2010, 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Fri February 19th, 2010, 9:56 am

It's a shame, as I adored Turtledove's Tartessos series, which were about a cohort of Roman soldiers who were transported to another planet!
Ben Kane

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Fri February 19th, 2010, 4:01 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Parthianbow

Won't bother then. I had a similar experience with a book called "Raelina's Flowers", which is set in the aftermath of the Teutoberger Wald Battle. The most purely awful novel I've ever attempted to read (and I didn't get past the first chapter). It's a reminder of why self-published books aren't always a good idea[/quote]

Heh, I doubt it tops the German novel that makes Varus and Arminius lovers. :eek:

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri February 19th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Posted by Gabriele
Heh, I doubt it tops the German novel that makes Varus and Arminius lovers.
Gott im Himmel!

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Fri February 19th, 2010, 10:26 pm

[quote=""Gabriele Campbell""]Heh, I doubt it tops the German novel that makes Varus and Arminius lovers. :eek: [/quote]

Yeeeuuuugghhh! :eek:
Ben Kane

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Fri February 19th, 2010, 10:55 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]Yeeeuuuugghhh! :eek: [/quote]

Heh, that's pretty much what Arminius thought. :p I admit to browsing that piece of horror in a bookstore, and the setup is pretty much that Varus was hopelessly in lust with the handsome, tall, blond and blue-eyed Cheruscian prince, and Arminius played the game to cover up his anti-Roman activities though he's not portrayed as gay or even bi in the book. The author (don't remember her name) wrote a historical note *cough* that a homosexual relationship was the only explanation for the fact that Varus ignored all warnings he got about Arminius' treacherous plans. :eek:

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Sat March 13th, 2010, 1:47 am

Got a bit about Robert the Bruce and Stirling Castle posted, as well as photos of Inchcolm Abbey.

Return to “Travel”