Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

20th in London

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri August 28th, 2009, 9:26 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I really have to step in and defend the Northern Line against this calumny! It's many years since it deserved that particular sobriquet and it is now a largely reliable and useful line. I use it every day and it rarely lets me down. I am very thankful to be living next to a Northern Line station. Its two branches take me straight to most places I need to get to and it is especially for the West End.
[/quote]

Yes, it's a lot better than it used to be. I wouldn't want to live on any other line now. I lived on the Metropolitan Line ten years ago and that was awful - 15 minute waits on a daily basis. I was constantly filling in forms to get a refund on my ticket.

It's always worth checking out the major museums - National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Tate Britain & Modern, V&A, etc - to see what exhibitions are on. In the smaller museum and gallery class, the Courtauld Gallery, Geffrye Museum (history of the domestic interior) and Wallace Collection are all well worth a visit.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri August 28th, 2009, 10:12 pm

Smaller museums are great. If you haven't been the Museum of the City of London, that's a must. The Wallace collection, but also Sir John Soane's Museum just N of the Inns of Court, which is an old terrace house stuffed full of eccentric collections, including some great Hogarth prints. I love the V&A -- suspect you will love the Costume gallery. Visit Samuel Johnson's home just off Fleet Street, and have lunch in his "local", Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. You will be blasted back to the 18th century!

Marc
Scribbler

Post by Marc » Wed December 16th, 2009, 10:47 am

Hi Ash,
Wish you a heartiest congratulations for your 20th anniversary...and also wish you a safe and memorable journey to London.. :-)
I am the author of Parmethia

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed December 16th, 2009, 7:56 pm

I recommend staying in Greenwich. There's a brand new Novotel right next to the station (train and DLR into the West End) and a Hotel Ibis a 2 minute walk away. You've also got a great indoor market, Greenwich Park and Observatory, the Queen's House and St Alfege church right on your doorstep. :)

Here's a couple of links:
http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-3476-no ... ndex.shtml
http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-0975- ... ndex.shtml
http://www.greenwichwhs.org.uk/accommod ... dation.asp

Have a good trip! :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Return to “Travel”