Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Maid by Kimberly Cutter

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Divia
Bibliomaniac

The Maid by Kimberly Cutter

Post by Divia » Wed August 24th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Got this puppy off of Amazon's Vine newsletter.

I'm about 60 pages in. Somethings have my eyebrows raised. For example:

Joan's father is um, a brute.
Catherine's death :rolleyes:
Catherine must be the real saint of the family. Too bad she is barely mentioned, but when she is wow. She is just perfect, and beautiful and perfect.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but peasants didn't wear pink dresses, correct?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed August 24th, 2011, 5:18 pm

I got that from Net Galley. It bored me to tears, never connected with her at all. I loathed the short chapters as well.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed August 24th, 2011, 6:10 pm

Yeah, I'm not connecting to Joan either.

I think its how the author handled it, and I'll write that in my Amazon review. I just feel like screaming. OK was she from god or not?

I want the author to go with a theory and stick with it.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed August 24th, 2011, 6:34 pm

I didn't pick up on any strong devotion to God either. You know more about her than I do, but I didn't feel the book did a good job recounting her history - I shouldn't have to go reading up on her at Wik, that's the author's job to educate me.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed August 24th, 2011, 7:27 pm

I finished it.

I have to say I am very disappointed. I think I would have been OK with the author if she had picked a side and gone with it. Was joan a saint? Or were other people forcing her to be a saint. Ya really dont get a clear understanding of that in this novel.

The trail is completely left out of this book, which is very disappointing because I think that's where joan shines the brightest. She pretty much has them going around in circles because they can't catch her in a lie.

I was not a fan of the vocies speaking to joan. I could have done without that. I also didnt like how the book jumped from present to past.

I'm going to write my review now. I see it has two glowing reveiws from people who have about 6 reviews between em.

Return to “Book Buddies”